1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

viper alarm/remote start question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by tacomalimited, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Jan 19, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    tacomalimited

tacomalimited [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 tacoma limited double cab Short bed 4x4.
    Just wondering, I know I read on here how some people have installed viper alarms, and it had a feature to auto lock doors when you put it in drive.I want to get a viper alarm with remote start.I would love a little more info on this. Am I correct? Does the viper have this feature? If so, does it work with the Toyota theft deterrent system? I have the key with the chip in it. It's a 2013 Tacoma. What viper model do you recommend based on what I am looking for? The most important feature to me is the auto locking when in drive.thank you for your help!

2. Jan 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    All models should have that feature iirc. All remote start models with for sure have it. And yes, it will work with your truck. I am a certified installer and have puts tons of them in. Its a programmable feature, but will only work if installed correctly. Get a 2-way pager with remote start. I think the most current model number is 5904 or 5901 I gotta double check

3. Jan 19, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    tacomalimited

tacomalimited [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 tacoma limited double cab Short bed 4x4.
    Does it have to be a 2 way pager type? And, is this a feature something I need to explicitly tell the installer I want, or is it a normal feature of the alarm? When exactly do the doors lock and unlock? Locked in drive? Opened in park? Sorry for all the questions, thanks again!

4. Jan 19, 2013 at 10:53 PM
    RMAN808

RMAN808 S)(AKALO)(AWAII

Member:
    First Name:
    Reid
    Pearl City, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD OR 4X4 Quicksand
    I just got a basic 1-way alarm system installed on my 1st gen yesterday and it locks once the ignition is turned on and unlocks once the ignition is turned off.

Yea you should let the installer know what features you want for your system and he can program it specifically to your liking.

5. Jan 22, 2013 at 12:56 AM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Yeah, all the viper alarms should have it, especially if a remote start is what your looking to get. They lock about 3 seconds after you turn the truck on, and unlock as soon as you shut it off. If the doors are still open during ignition, then they will not lock and will have to be locked manually, but will still unlock during shut off. Even if your installed doesn't turn the feature on, programming is fairly simple. But just tell your installer and he should be able to turn it on no problem. And no, a 2 way remote is not required, however, it is my professional opinion that it would be highly recommended for security reasons.

Products Discussed in

To Top