Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Oils

Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
Drew C is on a distinguished road
Drew C's Tacoma Gallery
Oils

Sorry, I know this has been discussed a million times but I figured what the heck...

I have been doing my own oil changes for a while on my tacoma (2010 TRD Sport), using one of the Mobil synthetics (I get what walmart has when I go, last time it was the extended performance). Lately, for some reason I have a hair up my butt to try amsoil. Don't know why, probably the search for something better (eventhough what I'm currently using is just as good). So, the questions - any real difference between the two? Does anyone do longer intervals between changes? Doesn't seem to make sense to pay the extra $$$ and not increase the service interval, might as well stay with Mobil. Also, what about amsoils differential fluids, any better than mobil syns (to justify the price)?

PS - i did use the search function, did find some helpful stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Oils-img_0346.jpg  
Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
You need to do oil analysis in order to extend your intervals no matter what oil you use. You can work with a place like Blackstone Labs to analyze a sample to start and see how the oil/engine is holding up. Then you can decide from there if you want to leave oil in there.

There are a few folks who are running Amsoil w/ the Amsoil filter set up and they leave it for a long time.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Drew C is on a distinguished road
Drew C's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply. I checked out Blackstone and ordered their kit. Will check it when I'm about to change it next time.