1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rotor recommendations

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by jcka, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    jcka

jcka [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange, CA
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma
    Anyone have any recommendations for slotted/vented rotors for a 2011 Tacoma?

2. Jan 21, 2013 at 8:00 AM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
  3. Jan 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    jcka

jcka [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange, CA
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma
    Cool, thanks!

4. Jan 21, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
  5. May 30, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    monoman

monoman Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tacoma SR Access Cab 4X4
    SnugTop SuperSport shell CaliRaisedLED light bar Toyo Open Country AT/3's Bilstein 5100's up front, (#2) & 4600 in rear Daily driver....
    Damn it! I think my rotors are warped. I replaced them & the pads about 3 years ago (with OEM) and I seem to be having the same problem again. Right now I still have about half the pads left too. Any of you guys run vented rotors? And would it help in the future? I know Toyotas are prone to disks warping, but I don't want to have to replace these things every few years!:eek:

6. Jun 3, 2013 at 6:30 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Toyotas are prone to disc warping? Who says? Mine is an '08 and no warpage in the least. Also, vented rotors are a waste - OEM or even Brembo blanks are the best bet. Lots of threads on that issue...

7. Jun 3, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I had a lot of issues with the OEM rotors warping. I switched to another brand and haven't had an issue since. I wasn't impressed with the stock pad/rotor setup.

8. Jun 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    This is the second Toyota I have owned and haven't had any issues with warping in either. Not saying that it doesn't happen, I know a lot of people with Tacomas who haven't had problems, either. But one must ask - how much are the reported problems due to issues like unevenly torqued wheels? Or something of that nature that would have an effect on rotors - like being too heavy on the brakes, etc.?

May I ask what brand you switched to? My pads will need replacing soon and may do rotors too, but may just stick with OEM ones. Also, when changing out, did you you flush the fluid? I have read a lot on there about flushing/non-flushing that there really isn't a straight answer. Seems to be the only reason to flush is if it is contaminated or the fluid has reached boiling or whatever - and it wouldn't really get contaminated if the system wasn't opened, right? I admit, I am not much on brakes and want to learn more!

9. Jun 3, 2013 at 9:59 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I can't speak to others but I do all my own maintenance and always use a torque wrench on my wheels. I don't think I'm heavy on the brakes because my OEM pads and rotors lasted to 70k miles. The stock setup seemed to warp, then evey out in cycles. They'd get really bad for a few thousand miles, then straighten out. It was weird, never owned a vehicle that did that before.

I switched to Duralast rotors and pads (Autozone brand). I bought the ceramic pads and blank rotors. They seem to have a better bite than stock and so far seem to be wearing well. They've also been quiet since I installed them 17k miles ago.

I try to bleed my lines every year and flush them every 3 years or so. When I installed new pads and rotors, I completely flushed the system. Brake fluid is a working fluid that constantly goes through heat/cool cycles. Eventually, it will either get contaminated or start to break down. It is also one of the most neglected fluids on a vehicle. You won't do any harm in flushing it or at least bleed some fluid out so it starts cycling the fluid some but if you don't flush it and it's contaminated, it can lead to rotted lines or a soft pedal.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  10. Jun 3, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Thanks! Good advice, so I will put that on my list of things to do. I hate to hijack this thread like I did, but as you can tell I have a lot to learn. Right now, mine has just about 60K on it. So far the breaks have been good, but haven't touched the fluid since I got it. I guess its time for that first and then on to research rotors/pads! Thanks again!

11. Jun 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    At least we're still talking about brakes! Have you seen how far off topic some of these threads get?? I wouldn't even call this an attempted thread-jack :laugh:

Products Discussed in

To Top