Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Rotor recommendations

Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
jcka is on a distinguished road

Name: John
jcka's Tacoma Gallery
Rotor recommendations

Anyone have any recommendations for slotted/vented rotors for a 2011 Tacoma?
Old 01-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
jcka is on a distinguished road

Name: John
jcka's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, thanks!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Damn it! I think my rotors are warped. I replaced them & the pads about 3 years ago (with OEM) and I seem to be having the same problem again. Right now I still have about half the pads left too. Any of you guys run vented rotors? And would it help in the future? I know Toyotas are prone to disks warping, but I don't want to have to replace these things every few years!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoman View Post
Damn it! I think my rotors are warped. I replaced them & the pads about 3 years ago (with OEM) and I seem to be having the same problem again. Right now I still have about half the pads left too. Any of you guys run vented rotors? And would it help in the future? I know Toyotas are prone to disks warping, but I don't want to have to replace these things every few years!
Toyotas are prone to disc warping? Who says? Mine is an '08 and no warpage in the least. Also, vented rotors are a waste - OEM or even Brembo blanks are the best bet. Lots of threads on that issue...
Old 06-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
Toyotas are prone to disc warping? Who says? Mine is an '08 and no warpage in the least. Also, vented rotors are a waste - OEM or even Brembo blanks are the best bet. Lots of threads on that issue...
I had a lot of issues with the OEM rotors warping. I switched to another brand and haven't had an issue since. I wasn't impressed with the stock pad/rotor setup.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I had a lot of issues with the OEM rotors warping. I switched to another brand and haven't had an issue since. I wasn't impressed with the stock pad/rotor setup.
This is the second Toyota I have owned and haven't had any issues with warping in either. Not saying that it doesn't happen, I know a lot of people with Tacomas who haven't had problems, either. But one must ask - how much are the reported problems due to issues like unevenly torqued wheels? Or something of that nature that would have an effect on rotors - like being too heavy on the brakes, etc.?

May I ask what brand you switched to? My pads will need replacing soon and may do rotors too, but may just stick with OEM ones. Also, when changing out, did you you flush the fluid? I have read a lot on there about flushing/non-flushing that there really isn't a straight answer. Seems to be the only reason to flush is if it is contaminated or the fluid has reached boiling or whatever - and it wouldn't really get contaminated if the system wasn't opened, right? I admit, I am not much on brakes and want to learn more!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is the second Toyota I have owned and haven't had any issues with warping in either. Not saying that it doesn't happen, I know a lot of people with Tacomas who haven't had problems, either. But one must ask - how much are the reported problems due to issues like unevenly torqued wheels? Or something of that nature that would have an effect on rotors - like being too heavy on the brakes, etc.?

May I ask what brand you switched to? My pads will need replacing soon and may do rotors too, but may just stick with OEM ones. Also, when changing out, did you you flush the fluid? I have read a lot on there about flushing/non-flushing that there really isn't a straight answer. Seems to be the only reason to flush is if it is contaminated or the fluid has reached boiling or whatever - and it wouldn't really get contaminated if the system wasn't opened, right? I admit, I am not much on brakes and want to learn more!
I can't speak to others but I do all my own maintenance and always use a torque wrench on my wheels. I don't think I'm heavy on the brakes because my OEM pads and rotors lasted to 70k miles. The stock setup seemed to warp, then evey out in cycles. They'd get really bad for a few thousand miles, then straighten out. It was weird, never owned a vehicle that did that before.

I switched to Duralast rotors and pads (Autozone brand). I bought the ceramic pads and blank rotors. They seem to have a better bite than stock and so far seem to be wearing well. They've also been quiet since I installed them 17k miles ago.

I try to bleed my lines every year and flush them every 3 years or so. When I installed new pads and rotors, I completely flushed the system. Brake fluid is a working fluid that constantly goes through heat/cool cycles. Eventually, it will either get contaminated or start to break down. It is also one of the most neglected fluids on a vehicle. You won't do any harm in flushing it or at least bleed some fluid out so it starts cycling the fluid some but if you don't flush it and it's contaminated, it can lead to rotted lines or a soft pedal.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I can't speak to others but I do all my own maintenance and always use a torque wrench on my wheels. I don't think I'm heavy on the brakes because my OEM pads and rotors lasted to 70k miles. The stock setup seemed to warp, then evey out in cycles. They'd get really bad for a few thousand miles, then straighten out. It was weird, never owned a vehicle that did that before.

I switched to Duralast rotors and pads (Autozone brand). I bought the ceramic pads and blank rotors. They seem to have a better bite than stock and so far seem to be wearing well. They've also been quiet since I installed them 17k miles ago.

I try to bleed my lines every year and flush them every 3 years or so. When I installed new pads and rotors, I completely flushed the system. Brake fluid is a working fluid that constantly goes through heat/cool cycles. Eventually, it will either get contaminated or start to break down. It is also one of the most neglected fluids on a vehicle. You won't do any harm in flushing it or at least bleed some fluid out so it starts cycling the fluid some but if you don't flush it and it's contaminated, it can lead to rotted lines or a soft pedal.
Thanks! Good advice, so I will put that on my list of things to do. I hate to hijack this thread like I did, but as you can tell I have a lot to learn. Right now, mine has just about 60K on it. So far the breaks have been good, but haven't touched the fluid since I got it. I guess its time for that first and then on to research rotors/pads! Thanks again!
Old 06-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks! Good advice, so I will put that on my list of things to do. I hate to hijack this thread like I did, but as you can tell I have a lot to learn. Right now, mine has just about 60K on it. So far the breaks have been good, but haven't touched the fluid since I got it. I guess its time for that first and then on to research rotors/pads! Thanks again!
At least we're still talking about brakes! Have you seen how far off topic some of these threads get?? I wouldn't even call this an attempted thread-jack