Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Rotor recommendations

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
jcka [OP] jcka is online now
Member
jcka is on a distinguished road
 
jcka's Avatar
Name: John
Joined: Nov 2010, #46421
Location: Orange, CA
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 28
jcka's Tacoma Gallery
Rotor recommendations

Anyone have any recommendations for slotted/vented rotors for a 2011 Tacoma?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
jcka [OP] jcka is online now
Member
jcka is on a distinguished road
 
jcka's Avatar
Name: John
Joined: Nov 2010, #46421
Location: Orange, CA
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 28
jcka's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold
 
monoman's Avatar
Name: Dave
Joined: Aug 2008, #8607
Location: Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
Gender: Dude
Posts: 986
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Damn it! I think my rotors are warped. I replaced them & the pads about 3 years ago (with OEM) and I seem to be having the same problem again. Right now I still have about half the pads left too. Any of you guys run vented rotors? And would it help in the future? I know Toyotas are prone to disks warping, but I don't want to have to replace these things every few years!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
Senior Member
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
SpacemanSpiff's Avatar
Name: Eric
Joined: Jun 2011, #59040
Location: Rincon, GA
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,422
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoman View Post
Damn it! I think my rotors are warped. I replaced them & the pads about 3 years ago (with OEM) and I seem to be having the same problem again. Right now I still have about half the pads left too. Any of you guys run vented rotors? And would it help in the future? I know Toyotas are prone to disks warping, but I don't want to have to replace these things every few years!
Toyotas are prone to disc warping? Who says? Mine is an '08 and no warpage in the least. Also, vented rotors are a waste - OEM or even Brembo blanks are the best bet. Lots of threads on that issue...
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Pugga's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Jun 2010, #39131
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,444
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
Toyotas are prone to disc warping? Who says? Mine is an '08 and no warpage in the least. Also, vented rotors are a waste - OEM or even Brembo blanks are the best bet. Lots of threads on that issue...
I had a lot of issues with the OEM rotors warping. I switched to another brand and haven't had an issue since. I wasn't impressed with the stock pad/rotor setup.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
Senior Member
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
SpacemanSpiff's Avatar
Name: Eric
Joined: Jun 2011, #59040
Location: Rincon, GA
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,422
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I had a lot of issues with the OEM rotors warping. I switched to another brand and haven't had an issue since. I wasn't impressed with the stock pad/rotor setup.
This is the second Toyota I have owned and haven't had any issues with warping in either. Not saying that it doesn't happen, I know a lot of people with Tacomas who haven't had problems, either. But one must ask - how much are the reported problems due to issues like unevenly torqued wheels? Or something of that nature that would have an effect on rotors - like being too heavy on the brakes, etc.?

May I ask what brand you switched to? My pads will need replacing soon and may do rotors too, but may just stick with OEM ones. Also, when changing out, did you you flush the fluid? I have read a lot on there about flushing/non-flushing that there really isn't a straight answer. Seems to be the only reason to flush is if it is contaminated or the fluid has reached boiling or whatever - and it wouldn't really get contaminated if the system wasn't opened, right? I admit, I am not much on brakes and want to learn more!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Pugga's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Jun 2010, #39131
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,444
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
This is the second Toyota I have owned and haven't had any issues with warping in either. Not saying that it doesn't happen, I know a lot of people with Tacomas who haven't had problems, either. But one must ask - how much are the reported problems due to issues like unevenly torqued wheels? Or something of that nature that would have an effect on rotors - like being too heavy on the brakes, etc.?

May I ask what brand you switched to? My pads will need replacing soon and may do rotors too, but may just stick with OEM ones. Also, when changing out, did you you flush the fluid? I have read a lot on there about flushing/non-flushing that there really isn't a straight answer. Seems to be the only reason to flush is if it is contaminated or the fluid has reached boiling or whatever - and it wouldn't really get contaminated if the system wasn't opened, right? I admit, I am not much on brakes and want to learn more!
I can't speak to others but I do all my own maintenance and always use a torque wrench on my wheels. I don't think I'm heavy on the brakes because my OEM pads and rotors lasted to 70k miles. The stock setup seemed to warp, then evey out in cycles. They'd get really bad for a few thousand miles, then straighten out. It was weird, never owned a vehicle that did that before.

I switched to Duralast rotors and pads (Autozone brand). I bought the ceramic pads and blank rotors. They seem to have a better bite than stock and so far seem to be wearing well. They've also been quiet since I installed them 17k miles ago.

I try to bleed my lines every year and flush them every 3 years or so. When I installed new pads and rotors, I completely flushed the system. Brake fluid is a working fluid that constantly goes through heat/cool cycles. Eventually, it will either get contaminated or start to break down. It is also one of the most neglected fluids on a vehicle. You won't do any harm in flushing it or at least bleed some fluid out so it starts cycling the fluid some but if you don't flush it and it's contaminated, it can lead to rotted lines or a soft pedal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
Senior Member
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
SpacemanSpiff's Avatar
Name: Eric
Joined: Jun 2011, #59040
Location: Rincon, GA
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,422
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I can't speak to others but I do all my own maintenance and always use a torque wrench on my wheels. I don't think I'm heavy on the brakes because my OEM pads and rotors lasted to 70k miles. The stock setup seemed to warp, then evey out in cycles. They'd get really bad for a few thousand miles, then straighten out. It was weird, never owned a vehicle that did that before.

I switched to Duralast rotors and pads (Autozone brand). I bought the ceramic pads and blank rotors. They seem to have a better bite than stock and so far seem to be wearing well. They've also been quiet since I installed them 17k miles ago.

I try to bleed my lines every year and flush them every 3 years or so. When I installed new pads and rotors, I completely flushed the system. Brake fluid is a working fluid that constantly goes through heat/cool cycles. Eventually, it will either get contaminated or start to break down. It is also one of the most neglected fluids on a vehicle. You won't do any harm in flushing it or at least bleed some fluid out so it starts cycling the fluid some but if you don't flush it and it's contaminated, it can lead to rotted lines or a soft pedal.
Thanks! Good advice, so I will put that on my list of things to do. I hate to hijack this thread like I did, but as you can tell I have a lot to learn. Right now, mine has just about 60K on it. So far the breaks have been good, but haven't touched the fluid since I got it. I guess its time for that first and then on to research rotors/pads! Thanks again!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Pugga's Avatar
Name: Mike
Joined: Jun 2010, #39131
Location: Massachusetts
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,444
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
Thanks! Good advice, so I will put that on my list of things to do. I hate to hijack this thread like I did, but as you can tell I have a lot to learn. Right now, mine has just about 60K on it. So far the breaks have been good, but haven't touched the fluid since I got it. I guess its time for that first and then on to research rotors/pads! Thanks again!
At least we're still talking about brakes! Have you seen how far off topic some of these threads get?? I wouldn't even call this an attempted thread-jack
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rotor/Pad recommendations ffirg 1st Gen. Tacomas 12 10-08-2012 11:25 AM
Brake rotor 06texasedition Technical Chat 10 08-21-2012 05:23 PM
Rotor issues Jeepman5112 2nd Gen. Tacomas 5 02-19-2012 07:38 PM
Rotor removal hardtaco 1st Gen. Tacomas 5 07-23-2011 03:31 PM
brake rotor m12taco85 1st Gen. Tacomas 12 10-19-2009 03:48 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.