Notices

odd feeling brakes after changing wheel bearings

Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
dragsterhund is on a distinguished road
Name: Charlie
dragsterhund's Tacoma Gallery
odd feeling brakes after changing wheel bearings

Hey everyone,

Thanks to the write up on how to change wheel bearings, I successfully changed both front wheel bearings on my 2005 4x4 this afternoon. Now I'm having some strangeness coming from the brakes. The first time I press the pedal, it's spongy, but an immediate release and reapplication they feel normal... 20 seconds later, did the same thing. I had to rejoice the calipers and rotors to do the bearing swap... Did I damage something? I didn't crack the brakes lines, so I don't know how air would have gotten in there. There no pulsing in the pedal, so I'm assuming everything is aligned properly still. Any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsterhund View Post
Hey everyone,

Thanks to the write up on how to change wheel bearings, I successfully changed both front wheel bearings on my 2005 4x4 this afternoon. Now I'm having some strangeness coming from the brakes. The first time I press the pedal, it's spongy, but an immediate release and reapplication they feel normal... 20 seconds later, did the same thing. I had to rejoice the calipers and rotors to do the bearing swap... Did I damage something? I didn't crack the brakes lines, so I don't know how air would have gotten in there. There no pulsing in the pedal, so I'm assuming everything is aligned properly still. Any suggestions?
Do you have an abs light on? Did you check to see if brake lines were pinched? I'm assuming you did, since you said they weren't cracked.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
This can happen if the axle nut is not tight enough, causing the rotor to move side to side and spread the caliper when you are moving. That is why the brakes feel spongy at first, and then tighten up. Essentially, the bearing can be a lit loose if the axle nut is not tight enough. You can jack each front wheel off the ground and see if you can wiggle each wheel with your hands at 12 and 6 o clock on the wheels.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
dragsterhund is on a distinguished road
Name: Charlie
dragsterhund's Tacoma Gallery
I'll check the axle nut. What's the torque spec?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
173 ft lbs.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
pop639 is on a distinguished road
pop639's Tacoma Gallery
I have this exact problem after changing a rear wheel cylinder...did you ever figure the problem out...air in the abs pump possibly