LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Excessive Power Steering Noise

Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Excessive Power Steering Noise

Here for the past few weeks or so my power steering makes a lot more noise than normal it seems.
When the vehicle warms up or when it's warm outside it seems to quite down. Fluid levels are good also. It didn't seem to start doing it until I got the timing belt and water pump replaced....

Don't know if this helps, there is also a odd noise that sound like maybe the bearings for the pulley are going out? I'm not sure, but you can't here it on the video.
http://youtu.be/Cx6PMxfcl70
Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a trick to locating noises on engines.

Find a metal rod. Run engine. Touch the rod to where you think the noise is coming from. Touch the other side to your ear. Listen for the noise.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Belt torqued right? Any leaks anywhere on the pump and rack? Pulley tight?
No leaks that I can see, if it is leaking it's not even enough to have ever made it to the ground. The underside of the truck doesn't have a drop of any fluid on it.

As for the pulley being tight, it was so tight that I could barely get a good enough look at the belt to see if it was worn. Could it be too tight?
Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
That's exactly what I constantly experience with my 99

Idk what it is but I also get vibes + that humming when turning.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
No leaks that I can see, if it is leaking it's not even enough to have ever made it to the ground. The underside of the truck doesn't have a drop of any fluid on it.

As for the pulley being tight, it was so tight that I could barely get a good enough look at the belt to see if it was worn. Could it be too tight?
Pulley could be too tight or the bearing shot too.

Or the rack bushings..
Old 02-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #12
mechanically retarded
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
My power steering went on my '10 honda, my engine was howling like a dog. Freaking annoying, how you get it fixed .
Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
sounds normal man. you have to remember your power steering pump has to work extra hard to turn your tires when sitting there parked. if you have ever driven a truck or car without power steering, you will know that cruising around isnt so bad, but parking it, when moving slow, is when it takes the most effort to crank the wheels. when your working it hard like that, it will make more noise

sounds normal. just be easy on the system and try not to turn the wheels when stopped if possible. nothing to worry about here
/thread
No noises on my 99 turning 33's around in the cold.

I'd say his Pump is wearing out, they like to whine and fuss when their getting in their later years.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Vacuum test the system to check for air in it. Bleed/flush with new fluid. If the noise is still there, your pump is shot.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure how the pumps have changed, but on my old 96 there was a little seen that would help filter stuff out of the pump and that got clogged up and started making that noise.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #16
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
This^^^^^ Check my post in What have you done to your tacoma today
Old 02-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #18
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Hmm, ok. How do I go about removing fluid to get access to the filter?
I took off the hose on the outside of the resi and drained from there. Then took off pump and then took off resi.
I am going to make a movie of what to do to fix it. I have an extra one sitting in the garage.