Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Rear Axle Blown. Cost of repair?

Old 02-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Axle Blown. Cost of repair?

okay so I've had a feeling something just wasn't right with the rear axle. took it to the shop to have a look see and sure enough there was fluid dripping from both rear drums, mechanic said basically the whole axle would have to go, save the housing; bearings, shafts, drums, seals. today being Saturday the part shop wasn't open so he'll call me Monday with an estimate.

my questions are how much should this entire repair cost me? how "safe" is it to drive with this issue? is there any upgrade I might as well get while these parts are being replaced? is there any DIY that might curb what I assume to be a costly repair?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
If the axle seals are done you need new seals bearings o-rings, and shoes not sure of parts price in the us. Labour should be around 5-6hrs. I wouldn't drive too far like that, oil and brakes are a bad combo
Old 02-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I always balk when someone say you need to replace everything save the housing. I have only once seen an axle shaft that needed to be replaced in a Tacoma once. Is there a noise? Or just leaking?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen a few axle shaft that have needed to be replaced when doing axle seals, axles were fine when they came out of the truck tho.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
If it's just leaking at the backing plates you probably just need new axle seals and diff fluid change.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
put in new bearings and seals and brake shoes. good to go I would think.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
Toyota Technician
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
Also unblock you vent
Old 02-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
put in new bearings and sealsand brake shoes. good to go I would think.
If the outer seal is leaking, this is what's needed.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Find another shop (one that doesn't want to screw you) I'd see if a High School shop class couldn't help you out.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I always balk when someone say you need to replace everything save the housing. I have only once seen an axle shaft that needed to be replaced in a Tacoma once. Is there a noise? Or just leaking?
I have a mysterious squeal that loves to pop up and disappear at random... as well as the emergency brake light coming on under heavy acceleration and off once cruise speed has been achieved (don't know if it's related)
Old 02-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #11

enjoying the feedback! keep em coming. thank you
Old 02-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
Toyota Technician
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
I have a mysterious squeal that loves to pop up and disappear at random... as well as the emergency brake light coming on under heavy acceleration and off once cruise speed has been achieved (don't know if it's related)
Check your brake fluid level, for the squeal is it when breaking, certain speed, front of vehicle or rear?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanv View Post
Check your brake fluid level, for the squeal is it when breaking, certain speed, front of vehicle or rear?
not a specific speed just 5+. and it's from the rear...passenger? I don't know it's hard to listen to something from the cab. I think it's either the carrier bearing or axle bearings. no amount of braking, accelerating, or high revving affects the squealing once it pops up. it just sticks until I stop moving or it decides it has bothered me enough for the day. that being said I'm not closed to the chance it is the brakes, only that braking doesn't affect it
Old 02-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #14
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Having rear brake shoes soaked in axle fluid from a leaking seal will cause said noise. Very common. As for your brake warning light, that could be coming from several things. I would first check to be sure your brake fluid level is correct.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Having rear brake shoes soaked in axle fluid from a leaking seal will cause said noise. Very common. As for your brake warning light, that could be coming from several things. I would first check to be sure your brake fluid level is correct.
I had not heard of oiled shoes causing a noise. But I don't wrench for a living either (not on cars anyway).

OP, I would get a second opinion. "Everything but the housing" scares me. Brake drums rarely get replaced unless they have grooves worn into them or are so out of round they can't be turned true.

From what BamaToy is saying (he should know), you may just need new axle seals.

On most Toyotas, there are two things that will turn the brake light on: low fluid level, and the parking brake handle. I've had the light act like you describe, all that was needed was a bit of fluid.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
I had not heard of oiled shoes causing a noise. But I don't wrench for a living either (not on cars anyway).

OP, I would get a second opinion. "Everything but the housing" scares me. Brake drums rarely get replaced unless they have grooves worn into them or are so out of round they can't be turned true.

From what BamaToy is saying (he should know), you may just need new axle seals.

On most Toyotas, there are two things that will turn the brake light on: low fluid level, and the parking brake handle. I've had the light act like you describe, all that was needed was a bit of fluid.
I've had the seals replaced twice and they used different brands to make sure the first one wasn't just shotty design. taking it in tomorrow to another shop to get a second opinion. sounds to me like I have low fluid! because I'm obviously not pulling the handle
Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #17
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've had the seals replaced twice and they used different brands to make sure the first one wasn't just shotty design. taking it in tomorrow to another shop to get a second opinion. sounds to me like I have low fluid! because I'm obviously not pulling the handle
Make sure they check for a clogged axle breather. It's happened to me on an older Toyota truck. I lost an axle seal that way.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
Make sure they check for a clogged axle breather. It's happened to me on an older Toyota truck. I lost an axle seal that way.
I did get buried to the frame in mud once....guessing it might have clogged up the breather. I guess I should do the breather extender mod after this is all over?
Old 02-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #19

update, not that anyone cares, but I figured I'd let you guys know that YOU (love this site) were correct as it was only bearings and seals. differential fluid was surprisingly clean. all fixed.
so thank you!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #20
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
If it's just leaking at the backing plates you probably just need new axle seals and diff fluid change.
^This.