Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Auto locking hubs won't disengage

Old 02-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
DirtyRider is on a distinguished road
Army: MP, 4643rd MP Co
DirtyRider's Tacoma Gallery
Auto locking hubs won't disengage

Had a snow here last night, put the truck in 4WD to get up the mountain I live on. Upon leaving this morning I shifted back into 2WD. I noticed as i took sharper turns the truck was jumping. I thought maybe it was still in 4WD but after messing with it most of the day it's obvious it is not. Only thing I can figure is the hubs are locked and won't disengage. Anyone else ever have this problem or have any advice on how to correct?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried going in reverse for a few hundred feet? That might do the trick.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by koco View Post
Have you tried going in reverse for a few hundred feet? That might do the trick.
And take it out of 4wd when u reach the top of the mountain.
Dont let it sit overnight in the cold with high humidity.
It makes it harder to take out of 4wd, especially the next morning before it warms up.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
It is probably an ADD (on a 2001) and not AUTO LOCKING HUBS (but both do the same thing in providing free wheeling front end when in 2WD).

In either case, on or off, doesn't affect steering. The transfer case still in 4WD will make steering difficult on solid surfaces or a locking rear differential in a locked position will. What do your dash lights indicate... solid on, flashing, off or burned out perhaps?