1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"clank" noise from trans/transfer case?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by imoddirector, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Feb 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM
    imoddirector

imoddirector [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD
    I have a single metallic "clanking" noise emanating from the (auto) transmission / transfer case area on my 2010 DC 4x4 after stopping and shifting between drive amd reverse and rolling a foot or 2. It seems to only be when warmed up to operation temp. I have done all the normal checks... fluid levels, u-joints, etc. No abnormal wear or other problems. The truck only has 28K miles on it. I'd like to diagnose the problem BEFORE I take it in for warranty repairs. Ive even checked to make sure the front brake pads were not moving in the caliper mounts and making the sound. Has anyone had a simular problem????

2. Feb 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2013 4X4 LT
    my new 2013 does this from reverse to Drive makes a clunk noise before takeoff after switching gears only. It's starting to piss me off and cant find the culprit as well.

3. Feb 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
  4. Feb 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    It's not your transmission. It's the rear brake pads shifting positions from forward braking and reverse braking. Perfectly normal. I've really studied this and taken the drums off just after braking in both directions to prove it to myself.

5. Mar 1, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    DoubleYotaBoy

DoubleYotaBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Clinton, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma prerunner
    Bull Bar, Chrome grille, JDM Chrome Headlights, 5000k HIDs headlights and fogs, Chrome Door handles, Ready Lift 2.25 inch front spacer, BFGs 265 75 16
    my 06 does this too, used to didnt

6. Mar 29, 2013 at 1:40 AM
    SirGeoff

SirGeoff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    West Coast - Vancouver Island, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5
    I just had my brakes replaced in December ($1,300 later including alignment); first of all they started squealing (did the hard stop at high speed a couple of times, and removed most of the squeal - at least to bearable levels). However, this clanking noise started, first at stop lights while engaging or disengaging the brakes, now the same noise occurs when driving up a slight incline under power, just for a few seconds, then stops. It sometimes happens when I put it in gear in the drive, and at one stage it seemed to be coming from the exhaust or the catalitic converter, but I figured that might just be a resonation from elsewhere. Suffice to say it does not sound like a healthy vehicle at the moment - any suggestions would be appreciated.

After reading other comments, I recall that I also had an oil change at the same time as the brakes job - could it be that they removed the Transmition drain plug in error, and I have a tranny problem? How does one check and/or top-up a sealed unit? (I could go back to the shop and ask them if they did make the mistake, but really, is the mechanic going to even tell his boss, if he did screw up?)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  7. Apr 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM
    SirGeoff

SirGeoff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    West Coast - Vancouver Island, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5
    Problem with the vibration solved!!! it was the top cover/shield on the catalitic converter that was loose.
    Only problem was that while trying to figure out how to remove the bolts holding the shroud in place, they crumbled to nothing, but are still holfing the separator bracket on, but the top cover came off in my hand. Question is, does it need to be replaced? there is a layer of metalic insulation type on the underside of the floor, which should protect the floor? And if it needs to be replaced other than two bolts in the rear, what held it in place on the front - almost looks as if it was spot welded?

Products Discussed in

To Top