Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

"clank" noise from trans/transfer case?

Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
imoddirector is on a distinguished road
Name: Rich
imoddirector's Tacoma Gallery
"clank" noise from trans/transfer case?

I have a single metallic "clanking" noise emanating from the (auto) transmission / transfer case area on my 2010 DC 4x4 after stopping and shifting between drive amd reverse and rolling a foot or 2. It seems to only be when warmed up to operation temp. I have done all the normal checks... fluid levels, u-joints, etc. No abnormal wear or other problems. The truck only has 28K miles on it. I'd like to diagnose the problem BEFORE I take it in for warranty repairs. Ive even checked to make sure the front brake pads were not moving in the caliper mounts and making the sound. Has anyone had a simular problem????
Old 02-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
mking will become famous soon enoughmking will become famous soon enough

Name: SilverSurfer
mking's Tacoma Gallery
my new 2013 does this from reverse to Drive makes a clunk noise before takeoff after switching gears only. It's starting to piss me off and cant find the culprit as well.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
It's not your transmission. It's the rear brake pads shifting positions from forward braking and reverse braking. Perfectly normal. I've really studied this and taken the drums off just after braking in both directions to prove it to myself.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
DoubleYotaBoy is on a distinguished road

Name: Jonathan
DoubleYotaBoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoddirector View Post
I have a single metallic "clanking" noise emanating from the (auto) transmission / transfer case area on my 2010 DC 4x4 after stopping and shifting between drive amd reverse and rolling a foot or 2. It seems to only be when warmed up to operation temp. I have done all the normal checks... fluid levels, u-joints, etc. No abnormal wear or other problems. The truck only has 28K miles on it. I'd like to diagnose the problem BEFORE I take it in for warranty repairs. Ive even checked to make sure the front brake pads were not moving in the caliper mounts and making the sound. Has anyone had a simular problem????
my 06 does this too, used to didnt
Old 03-29-2013, 02:40 AM   #6
SirGeoff is on a distinguished road
Name: Geoff
SirGeoff's Tacoma Gallery
I just had my brakes replaced in December ($1,300 later including alignment); first of all they started squealing (did the hard stop at high speed a couple of times, and removed most of the squeal - at least to bearable levels). However, this clanking noise started, first at stop lights while engaging or disengaging the brakes, now the same noise occurs when driving up a slight incline under power, just for a few seconds, then stops. It sometimes happens when I put it in gear in the drive, and at one stage it seemed to be coming from the exhaust or the catalitic converter, but I figured that might just be a resonation from elsewhere. Suffice to say it does not sound like a healthy vehicle at the moment - any suggestions would be appreciated.

After reading other comments, I recall that I also had an oil change at the same time as the brakes job - could it be that they removed the Transmition drain plug in error, and I have a tranny problem? How does one check and/or top-up a sealed unit? (I could go back to the shop and ask them if they did make the mistake, but really, is the mechanic going to even tell his boss, if he did screw up?)
Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
SirGeoff is on a distinguished road
Name: Geoff
SirGeoff's Tacoma Gallery
Problem with the vibration solved!!! it was the top cover/shield on the catalitic converter that was loose.
Only problem was that while trying to figure out how to remove the bolts holding the shroud in place, they crumbled to nothing, but are still holfing the separator bracket on, but the top cover came off in my hand. Question is, does it need to be replaced? there is a layer of metalic insulation type on the underside of the floor, which should protect the floor? And if it needs to be replaced other than two bolts in the rear, what held it in place on the front - almost looks as if it was spot welded?