Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Did my first oil change today, is this normal.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
shorti will become famous soon enough
shorti's Tacoma Gallery
Did my first oil change today, is this normal.

So I did my first oil change today and I noticed something odd when I took off the fill cap.
Here are a few details about my truck.
2012 Double Cab Of Road 4.0 V6
Bought it with 5000 miles, now has 11100.
The oil change sticker said it was due for a 11180 mile change.
Previous oil was Mobile 1.
Previous filter was made by Performax.
New oil is Amsoil
New filter is Toyota OEM

Here are the pictures, is the foam normal?

Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
A while back there was someone who posted a similar milky/foamy substance under the fill cap. My first change was at the dealer, so I don't have a clue what it looked like. When I changed the oil @ 9,000 I had a similar film under my cap( although it was quite a bit less than what is in your pics) . It seems like those of us that primarily drive short distances don't get the motor up to operating temp. for long enough to burn off normal condensation. I think the general consensus was to get out and drive it for extended periods once in a while and that should help. If it were me I'd definitely change the oil to make sure there's not water in it.

I was a bit late on that one. Sorry OP.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
shorti's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Its normal. Lots of short trips, and cold weather cause this. Change the oil more frequently.
Ok good, I didn't want to start going crazy.
I live in Caniukistan, drive 3km to work maybe 2-3 times a day and can't let the oil warm up most of the time.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
tsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to behold

tsup74's Tacoma Gallery
holy crap, i would have been concerned if I saw this....... however it's normal!! now that's a first
Old 02-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
get the fill tube from a 5.7 v8 out of the tundra. its shorter and you will hardly ever get that problem.

but yeah, its normal. short distnaces cause it

now the oil filter. i hope u did all that damage taking it off
Old 02-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
shorti's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmathis View Post
get the fill tube from a 5.7 v8 out of the tundra. its shorter and you will hardly ever get that problem.

but yeah, its normal. short distnaces cause it

now the oil filter. i hope u did all that damage taking it off
Ya I think the hulk did my last oil change. I needed a snipe to get the drain plug off and i destroyed the filter with a pipe wrench to get it off because it was so tight.
And this is why I do my own oil changes.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorti View Post

That is not normal..