1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TPMS questions

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Kilo Charlie, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Feb 20, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    Kilo Charlie

Kilo Charlie [OP] I have lost my way

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Off Road
    Last week I changed the stock rims and Rugged Trail tires out for a set of silver FJ wheels wrapped in Rugged Terrains on my 2012 TRD OR. Not wanting to spend $120 each for new Toyota TPMS, I bought some aftermarket programmable TPMS. The auto parts store programmed the sensors for me.

Later that night, after installing the wheels and tires, I responded to a call for the fire department and left my truck running at the scene. When I got back in the TPMS light was on. After arriving back home I checked the tire pressure and then checked again in the morning with all the tires still at 35 psi. After starting the truck in the morning the light went out (assuming it was reading the TPMS from the factory rims and tires stored in the garage).

The next couple of days I ran a bunch of errands and a few more calls with the fire department without the light coming on. On Monday morning I went to work and back with the light coming back on when I got off the interstate while I was on the way home from work. Tire pressure checked again and they were all still 35 psi. Tuesday morning the light went out (I was parked in the garage and again assumed the factory sensors contributed to the light going out) and again on the way home the light came on after getting off the interstate.

The light seems to only go off after driving/idling after about 20 min. so my real question is how often does the truck "read" the sensors? Any other thoughts?

2. Feb 20, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    You truck came with TPMS in the stock wheels that would fit the new silver FJ wheels, what did you do with them? You can calibrate the sensors with the button under the steering wheel for the light to get used to a certain PSI. As far as your question, Idk.. usually around 40 miles or an hour or so of driving after aired down the light would come on

3. Feb 20, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    Kilo Charlie

Kilo Charlie [OP] I have lost my way

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Off Road
    I kept the sensors in the factory wheels thinking I would put them back on the truck if I ever sold it or traded it in. Thanks for the heads up on calibrating the sensors!

Products Discussed in

To Top