Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

ABS Light won't shut off

Old 02-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
TAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
TAKoma907's Tacoma Gallery
ABS Light won't shut off

I just changed my wheel bearings and front brakes and now my ABS light is on constantly. My ABS also is no longer functioning as I now easily lock up my brakes on ice. Is this just an issue where I have to reset something? Any ideas?
Old 02-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Disco Disco...
SGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: NBCNCO, HHC, 1-158 INF
Name: Scott
SGT Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Probably put too much tension on one of the speed sensor wires...
Old 02-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Disco Disco...
SGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Just have a shop or parts store read the OBD to tell u what one. It's an easy replacement, but they cost $75+...
Old 02-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
TAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Taco View Post
Just have a shop or parts store read the OBD to tell u what one. It's an easy replacement, but they cost $75+...
Alright, I'll try and find a friend with an OBD reader. I was hoping I could reset it like the Maint Req light. Although, not having ABS is kinda fun.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKoma907 View Post
Alright, I'll try and find a friend with an OBD reader. I was hoping I could reset it like the Maint Req light. Although, not having ABS is kinda fun.
Try this. No scanner needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
You can check the codes your self. Run a jumper wire to these terminals. Count the blinks. Then you have your code(s). i.e. 5 blinks followed by 6 blinks would be code 56.

Here's the list of codes.

Good luck!!
Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #6

Quote:

THANK YOU!!
Old 02-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
whatever you did explain it, because alot of people would like to know how to disbale ABS lol.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
whatever you did explain it, because alot of people would like to know how to disbale ABS lol.
Just let me change your wheelbearings haha. Im actually thinking about leaving it off. The truck stops better, even on ice.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
Disco Disco...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKoma907 View Post
Do the abs kill switch mod...
Also you can try to rewire the speed sensor that is broken, I did it on a camery. Just cut the wire just above the sensor and just below the plug. Then usr some 18/2 wire and solder in place. Tape well and cover with some split loom for protection.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
OBD II scanners don't read abs codes. You'll need toyota or equivalent software.

Is the wheel sensor plugged it? (On the bearing you replaced)
Old 04-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Is that the OBD II harness? Or is that something else?
Old 06-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
Brandoaz is on a distinguished road
Brandoaz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Im trying to diagnose an issue form this thread...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ml#post6970128
but came across the chart you posted:
I jumped the OBDII and it gave me
sound like left rear (34)
and a battery issue? ( 41)
BUT, in the chart there is an * that says, even after repair a certain procedure must be followed to reset the ABS light.
What procedure is that?

Also is there a way to turn of the ABS/Brake light on the dashboard?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoaz View Post
Im trying to diagnose an issue form this thread...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ml#post6970128
but came across the chart you posted:
I jumped the OBDII and it gave me
sound like left rear (34)
and a battery issue? ( 41)
BUT, in the chart there is an * that says, even after repair a certain procedure must be followed to reset the ABS light.
What procedure is that?

Also is there a way to turn of the ABS/Brake light on the dashboard?
The *1 just means you need to fix the problem & the system should self clear the code. The system automatically checks for issues when you first turn the key on, if there are no issues the light will stay off. Another way to possibly ensure that the codes are cleared is to disconnect the battery for 30 mins so the computers completely shut down and lose all memory (this doesn't always work though). Sometimes you have to drive it a few miles to get it to clear too, depending upon the code the system sometimes wants to see wheel speed data to verify repair as well.

To me it seems you need the left rear wheel speed sensor (possibly) and a new battery (possibly). I would start with the sensor & go from there.

There is no way to turn off the abs light other than to fix the problem. The light is there to indicate a failure in the system.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
Brandoaz is on a distinguished road
Brandoaz's Tacoma Gallery
i pulled the sensor( much easier to unbolt it , then remove it from the wiring harness).
Sensor was covered in light colored grease ( very clean).
Wiped it anyway, did not attempt to insert anything into the sensor opening.
cleaned all contacts on sensor and plug( didnt really seem dirty).
reassembled.
Lights remain on.
Reset of tapping brake peddle 8 times in 5 seconds doesn't do anything.
Is there any way to check functionality of sensor with a meter?
What about wiring?

Is this something that will reset immediately or take a few miles IF something was fixed?
Old 06-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
You'd need to fix the sensor then clear the abs code with a real scanner. Not an OBD II handheld. Toyota or equivalent software.