1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wiring for speaker level input on amp

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by KRich, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Feb 9, 2009 at 1:59 PM
    KRich

KRich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Black DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Hi all,

I have a Kenwood amp from another vehicle that I want to put in my Tacoma. I have the non-JBL stock 6 disc changer head unit and plan to keep it for a while until I eventually do the full stereo upgrade. My Kenwood amp has speaker level inputs and I am wondering about where to tie into my front speaker wires. I have read that it should be after any factory amps and am not sure if my stock setup has an amp or not (guessing that it does). Also, I am planning on getting a set of Polk Audio db6501s for the front door, anyone have these or heard anything?

Thanks,
    Kyle

2. Feb 9, 2009 at 2:03 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    the newer stock models have a weak factory amplifyer. I would not amplify the stock speakers because they will blow out very easily. Wait til you purchase the new speakers then do it all at once.

3. Feb 9, 2009 at 2:04 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    forgot to say, a head unit with a pream out would solve all the factory amplifyer problems.

4. Feb 10, 2009 at 11:33 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i can't believe that Toyota calls those things speakers...1/8 pound of plastic??? friggin plastic speakers?! i was in awe when i changed mine out.

5. Feb 10, 2009 at 7:11 PM
    KRich

KRich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Black DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Thanks for the input guys. It would be nice to have the rca's of an aftermarket head unit but I want to stay with the stock one for now. I have decided to get a pair of Alpine SPR-17S component speakers for the front doors to use with my amp. I am thinking that I will use the original speaker wires going to the stock front speakers for my speaker level inputs on my amp then run wires from the amp to the new speakers. From the research I have done, I will need to tie the remote on wire from my amp to the grey accessory wire on the wire harness behind the stock head unit. Hope to get to it this weekend.

Products Discussed in

To Top