Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Wiring for speaker level input on amp

Old 02-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
KRich is on a distinguished road
KRich's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring for speaker level input on amp

Hi all,

I have a Kenwood amp from another vehicle that I want to put in my Tacoma. I have the non-JBL stock 6 disc changer head unit and plan to keep it for a while until I eventually do the full stereo upgrade. My Kenwood amp has speaker level inputs and I am wondering about where to tie into my front speaker wires. I have read that it should be after any factory amps and am not sure if my stock setup has an amp or not (guessing that it does). Also, I am planning on getting a set of Polk Audio db6501s for the front door, anyone have these or heard anything?

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 02-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
the newer stock models have a weak factory amplifyer. I would not amplify the stock speakers because they will blow out very easily. Wait til you purchase the new speakers then do it all at once.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
forgot to say, a head unit with a pream out would solve all the factory amplifyer problems.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
i can't believe that Toyota calls those things speakers...1/8 pound of plastic??? friggin plastic speakers?! i was in awe when i changed mine out.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
KRich is on a distinguished road
KRich's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input guys. It would be nice to have the rca's of an aftermarket head unit but I want to stay with the stock one for now. I have decided to get a pair of Alpine SPR-17S component speakers for the front doors to use with my amp. I am thinking that I will use the original speaker wires going to the stock front speakers for my speaker level inputs on my amp then run wires from the amp to the new speakers. From the research I have done, I will need to tie the remote on wire from my amp to the grey accessory wire on the wire harness behind the stock head unit. Hope to get to it this weekend.