Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

What to do about leaking valve cover gasket?

Old 02-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Yoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to all

Air Force: Space Professional
Name: Scott
Yoshio's Tacoma Gallery
What to do about leaking valve cover gasket?

My service tech told me today that my valve cover gasket is leaking and I should replace it and the Pcv valve... A couple questions; can I do this myself? Is this a bad leak? When I searched the forums, someone said it could be covered under the power train warranty, is that true?

2007 4 cylinder 4x4 with 72,000 miles

What to do about leaking valve cover gasket?-uploadfromtaptalk1361838866512.jpg
Old 02-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Looks easy to me. Leak doesn't look horrible but it is getting around so I would fix it. Pull off your intake piping, and coils. Remove valve cover, clean surface, install new gasket with anaerobic gasket maker, install and torque bolts. Bam done.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
I just did my 99 Camry yesterday. Search youtube for a video helps.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
Yoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to allYoshio is a name known to all

Yoshio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Looks easy to me. Leak doesn't look horrible but it is getting around so I would fix it. Pull off your intake piping, and coils. Remove valve cover, clean surface, install new gasket with anaerobic gasket maker, install and torque bolts. Bam done.
Sounds easy... and the pcv valve?
Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshio View Post
I didn't replace mine
Old 02-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Shake it around, do you hear a ball inside moving around? Can you only bow through it one way? If so, keep it! Or replace it do peace of mind since you have it off. And they're cheap.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I'd tighten the valve bolts first, and see if that doesnt make the leak stop. re torque them to spec, in the propper sequence, clean the oil off, then see what it looks like in a week.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I'd tighten the valve bolts first, and see if that doesnt make the leak stop. re torque them to spec, in the propper sequence, clean the oil off, then see what it looks like in a week.
X2.

Check for correct tightness, then clean and reinspect. That leak seems pretty minimal.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
fixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of lightfixnfly is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Mike
fixnfly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You could just clean it with some type of degreaser (carb cleaner)
Old 02-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Mine started showing some oil around the edges a while ago. I just checked the bolts and they were all loose. I have no idea what the torque spec is, so I just tightened them by "feel", cleaned it real good and now, at least a year later have not seen a drop of oil.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Checked my bolts, and they are all good, but I came across a little bulge coming out from between the valve cover and engine block, should I be concerned?

New seal and new Pcv should be in to the dealer soon.

Attachment 198054

that is rtv to cover the front cover to the cylinder head seam, Keeps the joint from leaking oil in that area on the valve cover.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #16

Yoshio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Is that using anerobic gasket maker in addition to the new factory seal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZCUT View Post
that is rtv to cover the front cover to the cylinder head seam, Keeps the joint from leaking oil in that area on the valve cover.
Is this something I need to re-accomplish, or is it possible the silicone is still good?

Thanks guys, seal & new valve came into dealer today, should be doing this tonight...
Old 03-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #17

Yoshio's Tacoma Gallery
So after getting the cover off, I'm sure it was the seal. Both the cover gasket and spark plug gasket were super brittle and "shorter" than their replacements. The new gaskets actually make contact with both surfaces before the surfaces touch. Buttoning up the cover now, we'll see if it still leaks.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #18
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So after getting the cover off, I'm sure it was the seal. Both the cover gasket and spark plug gasket were super brittle and "shorter" than their replacements. The new gaskets actually make contact with both surfaces before the surfaces touch. Buttoning up the cover now, we'll see if it still leaks.

put a dab of rtv back on those seam areas before plopping the gasket in place. Also use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts
Old 03-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #19

Yoshio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZCUT View Post
put a dab of rtv back on those seam areas before plopping the gasket in place. Also use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts
Done and done! This time the cover rests higher than before, I might guess that the "loose" bolts are really a product of the gasket shrinking...