Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Not bad MPG...but REAL bad.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Wakeupandlive is on a distinguished road
Wakeupandlive's Tacoma Gallery
Not bad MPG...but REAL bad.

Just bought a brand spankin new 2013 Tacoma Sport access cab with a manual 6spd trans. Completely new and stock. I have about 180 miles on the truck and so far and I barely squeezed 150 miles out of half a tank. Roughly speaking, that's about 7 miles per gallon with reading that our 2013's have a 21 gallon tank.

I have been shifting around 2k RPM, and really babying the clutch and revs. On the highway, I drive 60-65mph max and try not to accelerate/brake, accelerate/brake a lot.

My plan was to baby the throttle and see what I could get out of my first tank of gas...and right now, it really sucks.

I was really not expecting this. This is my first truck and I wasn't expecting to get great mpg, but at the minimum thought like 15mpg for driving like a grandma. Anyone have any advice about this?? I can't imagine if I started revving up to 3-4k and driving a little bit more aggressively...what then, 5mpg!?
Old 02-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Run it to the light and recalculate
Old 02-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
thats about 15 mpg to my math..

20 gallon tank, 150 for a half tank.

half tank = 10 gal

150*2= 300
300/20 = 15 mpg
Old 02-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
I get 150 miles at half a tank.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
The fuel gauge isn't perfect. I have a huge first quarter of the tank, small 2nd and 3rd quarter, and decent size last quarter of the tank.

Tank wasn't completely full when you got it, engine not broken in yet, and old gas in it from dealer could also be contributing. Burn off that tank and fill with fresh gas, then start checking your mileage.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
STRIKER TRD
akaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
akaryanreynolds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeupandlive View Post
Just bought a brand spankin new 2013 Tacoma Sport access cab with a manual 6spd trans. Completely new and stock. I have about 180 miles on the truck and so far and I barely squeezed 150 miles out of half a tank. Roughly speaking, that's about 7 miles per gallon with reading that our 2013's have a 21 gallon tank.

I have been shifting around 2k RPM, and really babying the clutch and revs. On the highway, I drive 60-65mph max and try not to accelerate/brake, accelerate/brake a lot.

My plan was to baby the throttle and see what I could get out of my first tank of gas...and right now, it really sucks.

I was really not expecting this. This is my first truck and I wasn't expecting to get great mpg, but at the minimum thought like 15mpg for driving like a grandma. Anyone have any advice about this?? I can't imagine if I started revving up to 3-4k and driving a little bit more aggressively...what then, 5mpg!?
Not really sure if you doing your math right

21/2= 10.5 half a tank

150/10.5=14.285714 MPG for a half a tank
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeseke View Post

half tank = 10 gal

150*2= 300
300/20 = 15 mpg
X2
Old 02-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
STRIKER TRD
akaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeseke View Post

half tank = 10 gal

150*2= 300
300/20 = 15 mpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAggie View Post
X2
LOL
Old 02-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Low RPM's doesn't always mean its a leaner fuel mixture and better milage.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
STRIKER TRD

Quote:

I'm guessing you did:

150/21=7.1428571
Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaryanreynolds View Post
I'm guessing you did:

150/21=7.1428571
Me too. He would be filling up at 150 if he was getting 7mpg.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
Wakeupandlive is on a distinguished road
Wakeupandlive's Tacoma Gallery
Well...if 1 person would have commented and I caught my mathematical brain fart, I would have edited my first post. But now I'll just leave it haha.

Anyway, I had to take a little highway trip tonight to pick up a new shotgun and drove about 85miles on a quarter tank. That's about 17mpg which is pretty good for highway driving at ~65mph.

I'm going to burn off this tank and start calculating each full tank from here on out, just to see what I'm working with.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well...if 1 person would have commented and I caught my mathematical brain fart, I would have edited my first post. But now I'll just leave it haha.

Anyway, I had to take a little highway trip tonight to pick up a new shotgun and drove about 85miles on a quarter tank. That's about 17mpg which is pretty good for highway driving at ~65mph.

I'm going to burn off this tank and start calculating each full tank from here on out, just to see what I'm working with.
im not sure of where you live/how any hills, temperature there, etc, but on my last two road trips ( all in florida and on flat interstates, etc) doing between 75-80 i pulled off 20-21 mpg both times. with 245s though.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
use fuelly.com to calculate your mpg.
i use it everytime i fill up
Old 02-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #16
CEFishin is on a distinguished road
Name: Lee
CEFishin's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Tacomaworld this is my first post and I love my tacoma.

This is what i what i do. Fill my tank to full, drive until the lights comes on. refuel and it shows +/- 17.1. The tank is 21.1 gallon so there still fuel in the tank 4 gallon or so. I usually get 328 miles/17.1 gallon of fuel which is 19.1 mpg. Running on 91 octane that what I prefer. Tacoma pretty good on gas if your dare to drive with the fuel light on. When the fuel light turns on I drove additional 40 miles from Orange County to Los Angeles. With spare 1 gal of fuel on board.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
CEFishin already mentioned it but I was going to say the gauge isn't very accurate. You usually still have 3-4 gallons left in the tank once you reach empty.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
The fuel gauge isn't perfect. I have a huge first quarter of the tank, small 2nd and 3rd quarter, and decent size last quarter of the tank.

Tank wasn't completely full when you got it, engine not broken in yet, and old gas in it from dealer could also be contributing. Burn off that tank and fill with fresh gas, then start checking your mileage.
I agree with this here. Your fuel gauge is not linear in any way, shape, or form. You can't go by that. The gauge is really just meant as an estimator for when you are due to fill up again. The only way to accurately calculate fuel MPG is as mentioned: Start with a full tank, drive a designated distance (the longer the drive the more accurate your calculations, so I suggest 150 miles) Then fill up and divide the number of miles by how much fuel, and bingo!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #19
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
1st mileage

Drive slowly the 1st 1k miles to break-in.
Change your oil to synthetic.
Then use trip mileage function on truck, divide trip miles/amount of gas purchased @ pump.
Allowing the truck to break in, & performing a "real" calculation will provide a more accurate MPG for your truck.
After saying all that dont expect too much MPG from you Taco.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #20
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How do they do math on your planet?