Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Ham radio antenna install location questions

Old 03-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #21
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post

here is where i mounted my Ham icom8000.
Thia is where I mounted your icom8000

Just messin. So yeah I mounted mine in the same location at Ryan's ^^ and I used a diamond NMO mount through the roof. For such a tiny antenne, it works pretty spectacular.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #23
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
ok here is where Proforce mounted sorry.
:ROFL:
Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #24
jbaird22 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Police
jbaird22's Tacoma Gallery
Proforce- thanks for the pics. That's exactly where I intend on putting my radio. From Kenwoods spec sheet, it looks like its about an inch longer than the ic 8000 so it might protrude farther forward than the icom. I'll be posting pictures (if it doesn't turn out bad) when I get everything installed.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #25
Thin Blue Line

Be careful though when you cut that out. Right behind there is your air bag control module. Very very dangerous area to be working in. Above the module on the passenger side is a large piece if thick black plastic the must be removed for a radio to fit. Its OK to cut that off, it does nothing. But again, be careful not to hurt the module when cutting the plastic trim.

Then, when cutting a hole for the radio to slide in, you can't cut the bottom for it to slide right down otherwise the radio will just hit the floor and/of module. You can't cut the too because then it'll hit the trim behind it and you'll end up cutting off the clips that hold the center console on. The cutout for the radio has to be right in the middle of the panel. Very hard to get right. I messed mine up good, but fixed it by making a carpeted panel to go around it (trim panel).

I've done several now so I have it down but its hard if its your first one. Manually tranny is way easier (as seen in Manwithoutaplan picture of his ICOM) but auto is the difficult one cuz you have way more room. I'll post some more pics to shoe you where to cut
Old 03-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #27
Thin Blue Line

Here is mine, you can kinda see what I mean by cutting not too low and not too high. It has to be cut right in the bend in the panel. Yeasu 7900

This is the yeasu 8900 in a manual. Still requires it to be in the middle. Same with an ICOM even though the are way more thick.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #28
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Stefan
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery

Old 03-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #29
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
CB and ham mounted side by side, very easy to reach and operate.

Cobra 19 on the left.
Yaesu FT2900 R/E on the right.

No offense, but that would drive me banana sandwich. I hate things out in the open and clutter looking. Its a way easier install that's for sure, but just not my thing. Gotta have stuff clean. You know me Matt

Even my CB and PA are organized lol

Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #30
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEtaco View Post

I like the antenna mount :thumbup:

And what radio is that? What bands does it do?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #31
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
No offense, but that would drive me banana sandwich. I hate things out in the open and clutter looking. Its a way easier install that's for sure, but just not my thing. Gotta have stuff clean. You know me Matt

Even my CB and PA are organized lol

Have you SEEN my truck??

Not exactly a fan of OEM looking, clean builds. Chop it, grind it, fab it until it works...that's how I roll
Old 03-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #32
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Stefan
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I like the antenna mount :thumbup:

And what radio is that? What bands does it do?
It's an Icom IC-2200H, 65W @ 2M with a Larsen NMO 2/70 antenna.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #33
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Have you SEEN my truck??

Not exactly a fan of OEM looking, clean builds. Chop it, grind it, fab it until it works...that's how I roll
All those hanging wires and everything sticking out just seems like more of a distraction/annoyance than anything. Not sure who wouldn't be a fan of a clean install but to each his own. I'm kinda ocd when it comes to clean installs... I guess that's why I do it professionally for a living
Old 03-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #34
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEtaco View Post
It's an Icom IC-2200H, 65W @ 2M with a Larsen NMO 2/70 antenna.
Nice
Old 03-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #35
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
All those hanging wires and everything sticking out just seems like more of a distraction/annoyance than anything. Not sure who wouldn't be a fan of a clean install but to each his own. I'm kinda ocd when it comes to clean installs... I guess that's why I do it professionally for a living
I like to feel like I'm driving a Boeing 747 down the trail, so the more gauges and wires and electronics the better
Old 03-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #36
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
I like to feel like I'm driving a Boeing 747 down the trail, so the more gauges and wires and electronics the better
Looks more you're driving a DC47 lmao
Old 03-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #37
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
With a few hundred dollar budget I can make it look like a 747

I have so many ideas flying through my mind (no pun intended ) I'll install more switches and gauges and screens than you'll know what to do with
Old 03-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #38
REBELTACO

Quote:
With a few hundred dollar budget I can make it look like a 747

I have so many ideas flying through my mind (no pun intended ) I'll install more switches and gauges and screens than you'll know what to do with
No joke, I'm actually down. But it all needs to be functional...not like 7 different tachometers and an altimeter. LOL
Old 03-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #39
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaird22 View Post
I should've specified I didn't want a mag mount just because I don't trust magnets to hold on. Where I live it is very windy, add that to driving in the wind and I don't trust it. At work we had a mag mounted license plate reader camera that came unmounted at about 80mph. I don't want my antenna to have the same results.

For those that mount near the bed, do you have a metal bed or composite bed? For info my truck is an 2008 access cab.

Thanks for the replies.
A mag mount won't come off at any thing below about 150. However they are a compromise frankly I don't like them for many reasons..
Old 03-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #40
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
No joke, I'm actually down. But it all needs to be functional...not like 7 different tachometers and an altimeter. LOL

First off, a 3 gauge pod for your A pillar. You pick the gauges. Next up, a few switch control panels. One will consist of 3 switches on the shift bezel like so:

Next will be a similar switch control panel but will be 6 in length instead of 3 and will mount inside the headliner either in front of the sun visor or centered in front of the sunglasses holder. Next will be 4 more switches mounted in place of the sunglasses holder or in place if the temp/compass display. Those will be large toggles instead of rockers and will have the metal loops in between each switch

So that's 13 switched to find a use for. Remember, anything that currently has a switch can be converted. Or you can use them for dam near anything you want. I'm sure many will be used for aux lighting. Others can be anything... HAM power, CB power, radio power/override, black out interior lighting, black out exterior lighting, high beams, reverse lights override, Inverter power, all dome lights override, window lock out, ac power kill switch, ignition kill, horn, high beam override, fog override, master control switches, scangauge/ultragauge power override, GPS power toggle, amps override..... The list goes on

Then you need to mount all kinds of crazy shit all over. Need a portable GPS, handheld mountable hiking/trail GPS, ultra or scan gauge, Larsen etc.