Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Ham radio antenna install location questions

Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #81
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaird22 View Post
Should I add a ground wire to the mount?
Interesting... I was pretty sure it wasn't, but then again, I never took the time to check either. All I know is when I mounted my CB antenna as seen in the pics above, my SWR was off the charts indicating and short or no ground in my system. Added the ground strap i showed and was able to tune to 1.2:1 so if it is grounded, it must not be enough I guess.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #82
jbaird22 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Police
jbaird22's Tacoma Gallery
Ham radio antenna install location questions-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364856559.184039.jpg radio mounted. Ham radio antenna install location questions-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364856582.494317.jpg antenna mounted. Ham radio antenna install location questions-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364856614.520541.jpg
Ground wire to bed.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #84
I got the fabric/carpet in today. I'll probably be adding it sometime this week.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #85
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaird22 View Post
I got the fabric/carpet in today. I'll probably be adding it sometime this week.

You should check your SWR with your antenna location. Having your antenna running parallel with a ground that close is bad news. generally you want the whole antenna clear of metal objects. If you do check your SWR make sure you dont use a CB SWR meter. They are not made to work in the VHF/UHF bands and you will get really messed up readings.

Edit:

Technical explanation:

The entire antenna radiates in 360*. This means that the part of the signal that is radiating towards the metal ground of the cab will be reflected back at the antenna and show up as reflected energy and effect your SWR. It may still work this way and the SWR ***might be ok, but performance will most definitely be affected.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #86
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
This ^ that's not a good place for an antenna. If you stand next to your antenna while you try and tune it it will effect your readings.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #87
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
On the antenna position: He has it at the front of the bed toward the left corner, would centered (left-to-right) on the front of the bed be better, or should it be up withthe base near the roof line? And this is for a 2 Meter radio, right?

I am thinking of getting a 2 meter radio for trail communications and trying to figure out as much as I can before I get my Technician license.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #88
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
On the antenna position: He has it at the front of the bed toward the left corner, would centered (left-to-right) on the front of the bed be better, or should it be up withthe base near the roof line? And this is for a 2 Meter radio, right?

I am thinking of getting a 2 meter radio for trail communications and trying to figure out as much as I can before I get my Technician license.
Up at the roof line would be best. Middle of the rail closest to cab would still be bad. get your license first. Will be too tempting to transmit before you get your license. Its a really easy test. study for a few hours the night before the test and a little before the test and you will pass.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #89
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerSeth View Post
Up at the roof line would be best. Middle of the rail closest to cab would still be bad. get your license first. Will be too tempting to transmit before you get your license. Its a really easy test. study for a few hours the night before the test and a little before the test and you will pass.
Thanks for the advice. I am an electronics/electrical tech by trade, so I hope to pick up the info pretty quick. Is it worth getting a class on it? Or where can I get a book to study? There is a ham radio shop here in Phoenix.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #90
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
I used the book and study DVD that came with it and also a free android app that had the test questions to quiz myself while at work. I spread out reading and studying the book over a three night period.. when it came time to test it was too easy. Don't know how many I missed because the testers were uptight old fogies and wouldn't tell me lol..I should have studied and taken the test for the extra class at the same time
Old 04-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #91
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post

Nope it needs to be in the clear yes it could be mounted above the roof line. The pictured antenna is a VHF/UHF antenna It might work all right on UHF but over half of the antenna on VHF will not radiate forward and will have a dramatic effect on the pattern and the SWR. Study for your license a great deal of the text covers antennas. A little note on transmitting without a license it is illegal for a licensed ham to talk to you.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #92
I moved my antenna first to the hood hoping I wouldn't have to "drill the hole". That didn't work as the mount that I have is too thick to allow the hood to close properly. I eventually broke down and "drilled the hole". My antenna, which is 39 inches, looks ridiculous but reception seems better. There is literally so little 2 meter traffic in this area that calling for a test doesn't yield any results.

The hole was drilled using a step drill bit. It needed to only be .66 inches to make it work. Ham radio antenna install location questions-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365100670.639247.jpg
Old 04-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Nope it needs to be in the clear yes it could be mounted above the roof line. The pictured antenna is a VHF/UHF antenna It might work all right on UHF but over half of the antenna on VHF will not radiate forward and will have a dramatic effect on the pattern and the SWR. Study for your license a great deal of the text covers antennas. A little note on transmitting without a license it is illegal for a licensed ham to talk to you.

Definitely: License will be first.

Besides this will curb my Tacoma mod spending a bit...
Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #94
I did notice that my antenna seemed to flex the roof some. Is this normal/ something I should be worried about? What is normal?
Old 04-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #95
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it does flex the roof all though electrically it probably is the very best place to put it, it may not be the best place physically. If you have a friend that is into computers the disk inside of a hard drive makes a great backup plate for a NMO mount on the inside they are thin and quite strong. That is one of the reasons I don’t like to mount antennas on truck roofs. We installed a cell phone antenna in an Explorer some years ago and during an ice storm the owner pulled into his drive way and the coil on his antenna got caught up in a hanging phone line before everything was over it ripped the antenna out of the roof and the coax tightened up and snapped the head liner free landing on his head.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #96
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Hey all, thought I'd throw in some questions of my own.

I currently have a CB antenna installed as shown below.
for the HAM, I was looking into a Diamond K412 SNMO. Can I use that along the driver's side lip of the hood and be OK, or are the two antennas going to compete with each other? Maybe it will just be too goofy and I should go with the roof...

Old 05-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #97
Asian RedNeck
BenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to all

Name: Ben
BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BenMara
doubt it will interfer with each other, what band antenna are you going with on the diamond mount?
Old 05-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #98
Law Enforcement:
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Put it on the other side until you grow tired of the CB. It will slew the pattern and over load the CB's front end if they are too close.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #99
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMara View Post
doubt it will interfer with each other, what band antenna are you going with on the diamond mount?
I was given the radio (an ICOM I-FC121) by search & rescue and told to go install it. I was also told to buy a Larsen NMO-150 and trim it to length, but I'm not sure what the length is, so I have a lot of people to bug so I can get this thing set up right.

We use a single reserved VHF channel for our communication so I'm not required to take any classes. However, I don't like that idea so I'm taking the HAM class anyway.

Quote:
Put it on the other side until you grow tired of the CB. It will slew the pattern and over load the CB's front end if they are too close.
I can't get some of the guys I offroad with to even pony up for a CB. Even the FJC guys with three LED bars, long travel and bling to the sky seem to be deaf and mute on the trail
At this time I'm going to need both, and I'll probably just be talking to one other guy on the HAM.

Thanks for info on the antennas, looks like drilling the roof is the only way to go!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #100
Asian RedNeck
BenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to all

Name: Ben
BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BenMara
Quote:
Agree!

Id ask if any of the locals ham have an antenna analyzer to tune the antena before you TX on it