Notices

Running Wires Behind Dash

Old 03-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
StarryEyed416 is on a distinguished road
Name: Kate
StarryEyed416's Tacoma Gallery
Running Wires Behind Dash

Hi there!

I'm new here, so I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this.

I have a 2013 Toyota Tacoma and I want to hardwire my radar detector in it. I know how to do it for the most part. I have the hardwire kit, the add-a-circuit, and I understand what needs to be done.

My questions is this... once I get the wire hidden between the headliner/windshield and down the A-post... where do I go from there? How do I snake this wire down through the dash to the fuse box?

Thank you!!
Old 03-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
If you go down the left pillar your damn near there. The fuse box is right there.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
If you go down the left pillar your damn near there. The fuse box is right there.
Oh, I know, but how do I get it from the post to behind the dash. Do I drop it down through the air vent or just continue down the side of the dash and loop it under?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyed416 View Post
Oh, I know, but how do I get it from the post to behind the dash. Do I drop it down through the air vent or just continue down the side of the dash and loop it under?
I'm not sure about this one but I think that would be the easiest, running it into an air vent means you have to poke a hole in that air vent somewhere in the dash to get the wire back out of there. Sounds like a PITA to do.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
I meant running it down the side would be the easiest
Old 03-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
It's been awhile, but it seems that I tucked my wire in behind the end if the dash completely out of site.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
lol took me a second but I figured that's what you meant. Thanks
Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Where your A-Pillar cover meets the dash board, there is a slight gap that has holes through it - I straightened a coat hanger and fed it up from the footwell through an opening in that gap. Now I had a straight piece of metal from the footwell to the gap in the A-pillar cover and dash board. Wrap your radar detector around the coat hanger and pull it down through - should go nice and easy, no need to puncture any holes in any AC vents.

Let me know if you still have troubles and I will try to get some pictures later - I just did this with a bluetooth mic wire.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post
Where your A-Pillar cover meets the dash board, there is a slight gap that has holes through it - I straightened a coat hanger and fed it up from the footwell through an opening in that gap. Now I had a straight piece of metal from the footwell to the gap in the A-pillar cover and dash board. Wrap your radar detector around the coat hanger and pull it down through - should go nice and easy, no need to puncture any holes in any AC vents.

Let me know if you still have troubles and I will try to get some pictures later - I just did this with a bluetooth mic wire.
Awesome, thank you so much! I'm going to be doing this later on tonight. I'll definitely let you know how it goes.