Notices

Reese wiring harness question

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
bunkerboy is on a distinguished road
Army: 1/15th Infantry
bunkerboy's Tacoma Gallery
Reese wiring harness question

What's this doohicky? My right trailer brake light doesn't work and this is the reason why. Can I just bypass it or does it do something important enough to buy a whole new harness?

Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
A3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: once upon a time SP/4
Name: Steve
A3umph's Tacoma Gallery
That's your converter to take the separate turn signal and brake lights from your truck and making it work with the single filment of the trailer turn/brake light. You will need to wire another one in its place.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Damn, not what I was hoping to hear. So if I just cut and direct-connect the green wire from "RIGHT TURN" to "RIGHT TURN/STOP" ... what's it do, screw up the voltage or something?

How readily available are these harnesses anyway? Mine came with the truck when I bought it.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
A3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shedA3umph is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: once upon a time SP/4
A3umph's Tacoma Gallery
You can't wire it like you want it will mess up your truck lights and maybe other electrical parts of your truck. It would be just like having a short circuit. You can get one at most auto parts stores or trailer shops. Here is one off of amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower...ight+converter
Old 03-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
If you disconnect the "stop" and both "right turn" and "left turn" wires on the car side, then wire the car side "stop" directly to BOTH the left and right "stop/turn" wires on the trailer side, that will get you brake lights on the trailer. That may be enough for now, eh? Otherwise, they sell those converters in just about every NAPA I've been to. They come in custom fit with direct plug in to your truck, or with just that box and some splice connectors. The ones that you have to splice are probably only $20.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Okay I understand, thanks! I think I'll start calling around for a converter, especially if I can buy just that and not the whole harness.

Any idea what the actual name of that converter is, so I can sound intelligent when I'm asking the parts guy?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Scour eBay... much cheaper than buying from a local RV supply house.

But it is what it is... it's a trailer turn signal/brake light convertor.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Trailer light adapter or trailer wiring adapter.

For any trailer with more than simply two bulbs, you want one that draws power directly from the battery.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
I just found an image of one on Reese's site. They simply call it a "taillight converter". Who'd have guessed.

Off to the parts store!

Products Discussed in this Thread