LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Strange Boing Sound while driving

Old 03-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
jallocco is on a distinguished road
jallocco's Tacoma Gallery
Strange Boing Sound while driving

All of a sudden, my truck is making a boing sound. It sounds like someone just grabbed my antenna and flicked it.

Last week it happened while just driving down the road and coming to a stop. Sometimes it happens when I back up out of a spot and start going again. Almost sounds like a spring popping up.

It is a 2013 Tacoma no mods other than K&N TRD with only about 1600 miles on it.

Some people have mentioned something about the ABS, but I don't that is it, there is no slipping.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Trying to get an idea before I bring it in.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has been doing that since I first got it. For me, it only does it when the engine is cold. Once I back up and start rolling forward I get about 5 to 10 feet then .... BOING!!! Reminds me of a cartoon sound. Sounds like it might be coming from the tranny. I'm curious as to what it is, but I'm not too concerned. Been like that for almost 40K miles and she still runs fine.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I have tried and tried to let this one go, and have a dozen times already closed this in an attempt to not say anything....but I can't resist any more.

STOP STARING AT THE WOMAN'S LEGS IN THE NEXT CAR AND YOU WON'T HEAR THAT "BOING" NOISE ANYMORE!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Can you give any more details on the noise itself? Front? Rear? Cold? hot?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Can you give any more details on the noise itself? Front? Rear? Cold? hot?
Not sure about OP, but with mine, I definitely hear it when the engine is cold. Outside temp is irrelevant. Sounds like it's coming from the mid-front on the passenger side. Perhaps from the transmission. Kinda hard to tell cause it's not very loud.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Palooka is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
Palooka's Tacoma Gallery
I came for the boobs.... I have no opinion
Old 03-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
jallocco is on a distinguished road
jallocco's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure where it is coming from. My directional hearing is not as good as it used to be. Almost from the center of the car. But it is fast and unexpected so I never am ready for it. I think there maybe something to the transmission. Could have something to do with the 4x4 engage system. Just a stab.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
ABS kicking on??
Old 03-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
Legs shmegs. I'll be checking these out in the car next to me.

Boing while sitting on the couch
Old 03-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Secret Squirell, Contract Completed
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
I came for the boobs.... I have no opinion
this exactly
Old 03-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallocco View Post
Could have something to do with the 4x4 engage system. Just a stab.
Mine does the same and it's a 2wd. If you decide to take it in to the dealer, let us know what they find.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
ASE Master Tech

If there was a way you could record it in a video it would be nice. Hard pressed to try and give any decent indication on what it may be otherwise. Sorry.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #14
coseng is on a distinguished road
coseng's Tacoma Gallery
Happened to me the other day turning into a parking lot. At the time, I swore it sounded like the steering wheel clock spring got hung up and then released.

Anyone else hear the sound in relation to turning?
Old 03-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #15
Loco38SUP is on a distinguished road

Loco38SUP's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does it every time I start the truck and begin to roll. Its the ABS system doing a self test or calibrating itself. This is normal activity and you just probably noticed it.

RJM