Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Outside air temp sensor location for thermometer

Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Popster is on a distinguished road
Popster's Tacoma Gallery
Outside air temp sensor location for thermometer

I want to add an inside/outside thermometer to my 07 standard Tacoma. I purchased a battery powered in/out thermometer and ran the outside sensor under the front fender and mounted it on the bracket for the front wheel well liner. It is behind the bumper, but close to the supporting bracket.

When I stop at a light, the engine heat raises the displayed temperature.

Does anyone know where the sensor should be located.

I will have to splice the wire if it needs to go any further. I'm guessing that a careful splice will be possible- that is to say that the length of the wire should not affect to reading.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #2
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Factory location is in the center support in front of the condenser/rad.
Factory units have a buffer/delay because of this issue. Your unit is instant and will reflect the temp spikes.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #3
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I ran the temp sensor for my Gentex341 auto dimming/compass/temp/homelink/maplight rr view mirror to the center support of the radiator right behind the bumper skin/license plate. It is out of the direct wind flow but not close enough to the radiator/condensor to get any temp spike action when stopped.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
does it have a/c ?
if so, scangauge should be able to fetch outside air temp

otherwise temp is picked up at foglight level in the open
part of the bumper near the plate
Old 03-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
Popster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
does it have a/c ?
if so, scangauge should be able to fetch outside air temp

Yes, it does have A/C. I emailed scangauge to confirm that it could monitor outside air temp.

Thanks to all for the help!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
grandpapacker is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
grandpapacker's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to grandpapacker Send a message via Yahoo to grandpapacker
Mount sensor in wheel well

Just move the your sensor into your front wheel well away from any heat source.You must have it located in the bumper and close to your radiator.\\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popster View Post
I want to add an inside/outside thermometer to my 07 standard Tacoma. I purchased a battery powered in/out thermometer and ran the outside sensor under the front fender and mounted it on the bracket for the front wheel well liner. It is behind the bumper, but close to the supporting bracket.

When I stop at a light, the engine heat raises the displayed temperature.

Does anyone know where the sensor should be located.

I will have to splice the wire if it needs to go any further. I'm guessing that a careful splice will be possible- that is to say that the length of the wire should not affect to reading.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Popster's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to all for the the help! I successfully installed a Cipa 36500 mirror with temp and compass. Took about an hour. I put the temp sensor on the bracket in front of the ac condenser. Works fine.