1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 won't engage rolling

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by kstaco, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Mar 10, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    kstaco

kstaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    South Central, Ks
    Vehicle:
    Trd 4X4
    OME all 4 corners,AAL in rear
    I recently had to replace the transfer case in my tacoma and now I cant go from 2hi to 4hi while rolling. It is a 2000 trd v6 5sp. the transfer case was out of a 1999 v6 5sp sr5. I know it isnt a big deal that I now have to stop to engage the 4x4 but before it would just go right in. At a low speed (5mph) I tried to move it to 4x4 and it would jus clunk and try to grind. Scared the crap out of me. Felt like the whole front end just about got ripped out from under me. Like I said, If I stop and engage it all is well and I can even take it out while rolling, It just wont go in. Any Ideas?

2. Mar 10, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Do you have manual locking hubs?

Does the donor truck you got the transfercase out of have manual hubs?

If they don't both have the same setup, that's where your issue is.

3. Mar 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    kstaco

kstaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    South Central, Ks
    Vehicle:
    Trd 4X4
    OME all 4 corners,AAL in rear
    Mine has auto, donor had manual. I like the auto locking. Is there anything I can do that will make it work. Or is it gonna hurt anything the way it is now as long as I stop to engage

4. Mar 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2

It won't hurt it as long as you stop to engage.

I believe what you have is actually an axle disconnect, not auto locking hubs. If you truly do have auto locking HUBS, you can just swap them for manual, but as far as I know, Tacomas never had that.

The way it's supposed to work with the axle disconnect system (called ADD), is that when you shift the transfercase, an internal synchronizer brings the front driveshaft and differential up to road speed, then the axle disconnect system engages the front axle shafts.

The transfercase you have now lacks that synchronizer. If you search around the internet, you can find posts where people have disabled the ADD system, resulting in a front driveshaft that always spins, effectively the same as having manual hubs locked all the time. I believe I have also read somewhere about having the ADD wired to a switch. With the truck not moving, flip the switch, then shift to 4wd while moving.

Products Discussed in

To Top