Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

from replacing tranny filter to needing a new tranny pan? plz help

Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
from replacing tranny filter to needing a new tranny pan? plz help

i tried to have midas change my tranny filter and pan gasket (i know toyotas don't come stock with one, they use a hi temp sealant) but they told me that my tranny plug was stipped and i would need a new tranny pan. i assume a new pan comes with a new plug. this seems odd to me. anyone have similar issue?

any suggestions?
i tried orielly and rockauto, neither had tranny pans
Old 03-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
i tried to have midas change my tranny filter and pan gasket (i know toyotas don't come stock with one, they use a hi temp sealant) but they told me that my tranny plug was stipped and i would need a new tranny pan. i assume a new pan comes with a new plug. this seems odd to me. anyone have similar issue?

any suggestions?
i tried orielly and rockauto, neither had tranny pans
You would think right, but definitely pan does not come with bolt. separate part.
On the side note: Most likely MIDAS are the one who stripped the plug and pan.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
You would think right, but definitely pan does not come with bolt. separate part.
On the side note: Most likely MIDAS are the one who stripped the plug and pan.
i just don't see why they had to remove the plug, couldn't it drain out the sides of the pan for a bit before they removed the pan? and you're probably right about midas, but i work at a Mobil lube shop next door to them and they hook us up and vice versa.

i wonder if i could buy i new plug and remove the old stripped plug with some vice grips or if the hole is stripped and the plug would just spin?
i would hate to buy one from the dealer...
i found one helpful thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...placement.html
but i don't know the first thing about having someone cut out the old plug hole and weld in a new one... not much detail is provided
Old 03-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
i just don't see why they had to remove the plug, couldn't it drain out the sides of the pan for a bit before they removed the pan? and you're probably right about midas, but i work at a Mobil lube shop next door to them and they hook us up and vice versa.

i wonder if i could buy i new plug and remove the old stripped plug with some vice grips or if the hole is stripped and the plug would just spin?
i would hate to buy one from the dealer...
i found one helpful thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...placement.html
but i don't know the first thing about having someone cut out the old plug hole and weld in a new one... not much detail is provided
HTX thats Houston Texas right ?
Mental NOTE to myself: Stay away from MIDAS and Mobil shops while in Texas
Nope, . Transmission pan is made from thin material and when people do corner only they usually bend it so it leaks later.
If you are not sure how to weld new nut, I would say quit while you ahead. Just get new pan and plug.
Welding on any used transmission pan is not easy, making it so it does not leak,= short of miracle.

BTW try new plug first maybe only plug is stripped.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
HTX thats Houston Texas right ?
Mental NOTE to myself: Stay away from MIDAS and Mobil shops while in Texas
Nope, . Transmission pan is made from thin material and when people do corner only they usually bend it so it leaks later.
If you are not sure how to weld new nut, I would say quit while you ahead. Just get new pan and plug.
Welding on any used transmission pan is not easy, making it so it does not leak,= short of miracle.

BTW try new plug first maybe only plug is stripped.
lol yeah houston, tx... my lube shop doesn't change tranny filters... just tranny drain and fills and full pressure tranny flushes (minus new filter)
Old 03-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

the stealership near my work wants $160 for tranny pan and plug.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Not much use in a drain and fill. I figure if I am doing that, I'm going to change the filter while I am in there, or do a full flush. Drain and fills are a waste in my opinion. Drain plugs are there to make the job easier. Cracking loose the pan and letting it leak out until you can remove the pan to finish the job is like draining your engine oil by cracking loose the oil pan bolts and the removing the oil pan. Much easier to drain out a large percentage of the transmission fluid by a drain plug. I always hated doing transmission services before some manufacturers started installing drain plugs. Much easier, cleaner, and lower risk of burning my hands that way! lol.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Not much use in a drain and fill. I figure if I am doing that, I'm going to change the filter while I am in there, or do a full flush. Drain and fills are a waste in my opinion. Drain plugs are there to make the job easier. Cracking loose the pan and letting it leak out until you can remove the pan to finish the job is like draining your engine oil by cracking loose the oil pan bolts and the removing the oil pan. Much easier to drain out a large percentage of the transmission fluid by a drain plug. I always hated doing transmission services before some manufacturers started installing drain plugs. Much easier, cleaner, and lower risk of burning my hands that way! lol.
makes sense. i was hesitant to do a flush with out changing the filter and gasket because i noticed some seepage around the pan and plug. i figured if the plug was stripped, i could get a new one from work. looks like i'm gunna have to pay dealer prices. no sense in buying a used one and risking it having the same problem. i've had very little luck finding tranny pans online.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

found some tranny pans on jc whitney. should i get aluminum or steel? also is the extra capacity ideal for better cooling? i'm about to start putting my trd s/c kit together and i know i need to keep my a/t cool.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
helicoil it?..
Old 03-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
helicoil it?..
Old 03-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Pan is probably too thin to helicoil.
Helicoils work great in thick castings, not so well in stamped steel pans.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Take the pan off yea I know you just paid to have it flushed but you can flush it at home if you have a few buckets and some ATF. Drill out the hole and tap it, get a plug that fits the correct thread size you tapped. Take that filter out put new one in. Start flushing, its a PITA to say how in text, but ill look for a vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT4VJtSnaig
Old 03-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
Take the pan off yea I know you just paid to have it flushed but you can flush it at home if you have a few buckets and some ATF. Drill out the hole and tap it, get a plug that fits the correct thread size you tapped. Take that filter out put new one in. Start flushing, its a PITA to say how in text, but ill look for a vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT4VJtSnaig
i haven't paid for any services or flushed it yet (i can do a flush with bulk pennzoil atf for free at work). my concern: will a higher capacity tranny pan need a different tranny filter? also i've never drilled out and tapped anything metal before.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

bizzumpppppppp
Old 03-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
yes, a higher capacity pan will require a modification to your filter, if you want any benefit of the deeper pan. Picture this, You have a straw 1/2 way down into a drink. You can't really drink the stuff below it, because you are drinking from above. yeah, the fluid gets mixed up, but still, no benefit of a deep pan if the filter is not drawing from the bottom.

If you want to help with cooling, install an aftermarket cooler. I have a customer who has one I installed for him, and he appears to love it.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #17
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
yes, a higher capacity pan will require a modification to your filter, if you want any benefit of the deeper pan. Picture this, You have a straw 1/2 way down into a drink. You can't really drink the stuff below it, because you are drinking from above. yeah, the fluid gets mixed up, but still, no benefit of a deep pan if the filter is not drawing from the bottom.

If you want to help with cooling, install an aftermarket cooler. I have a customer who has one I installed for him, and he appears to love it.
thank you. i'll just go with the trans cooler then
Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #18
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

picked up a tranny pan from TW member snorkie. thanx again, Chris!! i'll let you know how it turns out.