Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Does anyone know the temperature that a first gen (03) catalytic converter runs at?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know the temperature that a first gen (03) catalytic converter runs at?

I just threw a PO420 code today on the way to work.

I haven't had a chance to check my MAF, gas cap, or exhaust leaks. I really trust the batch of gas I have, and I don't smell any rotten eggs, but I'd like to be certain.

I ran seafoam about 400 miles ago and I want to make sure I didn't clog my cats. I know you can use a laser thermometer and measure the temp of your cats at running temperature to see if they work. Does anyone know these numbers? Thanks!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
depending on load, they can run 500-700* at idle, and 1200-1500* driving.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
depending on load, they can run 500-700* at idle, and 1200-1500* driving.
Thanks!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
If you would have clogged your cats, you would notice a loss of power. It is possible the catalysts are just weak from age/wear. The running temps will be lower with weakened cats. There really isn't a printed spec for this value either, but the values given above are generally what you might see. Looks like you already know to check for exhaust leaks. The gas cap and MAF values will not cause a catalyst code either. MAF can cause rich or lean codes, and the gas cap can cause EVAP codes.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #5

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vstrom30 View Post
If you would have clogged your cats, you would notice a loss of power. It is possible the catalysts are just weak from age/wear. The running temps will be lower with weakened cats. There really isn't a printed spec for this value either, but the values given above are generally what you might see. Looks like you already know to check for exhaust leaks. The gas cap and MAF values will not cause a catalyst code either. MAF can cause rich or lean codes, and the gas cap can cause EVAP codes.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. That's what I hate about only having this a few months. I'm still not 100% sure what's "right" when it comes to how this truck behaves. I could hear or feel when something was wrong with my old taco, but this new one is odd to me. I can't tell if I'm low on power, if that's how it's always been, or if it's all in my head. I'm getting my best gas mileage ever so far, so I don't think I'm running rich or lean.

I smelled my exhaust today and it smelled vaguely sulphur-y, but then again, I've never smelled it normally, so I don't know what's "normal".
Old 03-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vstrom30 View Post
There really isn't a printed spec for this value either,
bongo. The temps I listed are very general. Ive seen temps as low as 300* under little to no loads, and as high as 1800* under load, and WOT.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like it is finally time for me to write that thread on the Toyota P0420 code and how to diagnose it.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #8
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't 420 the heater circuit for the sensor?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZCUT View Post
Isn't 420 the heater circuit for the sensor?
no that is a different code

again, most likely cause on an 03, in 2013...?
o2 sensor is used up. cats are likely fine. correct diagnosis saves
time a trouble guessing of course, but all o2 sensors have a finite
life typically somewhere in the 110,000-160,000 mile range

seafoam likely coated the sensor with added mung and shortened it's life
Old 03-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #10

Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Looks like it is finally time for me to write that thread on the Toyota P0420 code and how to diagnose it.
Yes please!

Also, the CEL/MIL went out today, so I guess it stopped throwing the code?

Yesterday I pulled the air filter and inspected it ( for no reason ), re-tightened my gas cap, and fiddle with the sensor wires. Then I drove about 30 miles to hit some range. Light was still on.

Started the truck up this morning and drove to work and back and the light never came on.