Notices

found grease on passenger side cv axle

Old 03-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
lohrryan is on a distinguished road

Army: Ch-47 chinnok flight crew member
Name: patrick
lohrryan's Tacoma Gallery
found grease on passenger side cv axle

i was changing my oil today and when i went to remove the drain plug i noticed grease on my lower control arm and i started looking around and the only other place i saw any was on the cv axle the grease was pretty liquefied and thin it was mostly on the top of the boot except where it ran down on the lca after cleaning it i didn't notice any and cracks or tears on the boot its self any suggestions on what it would be????

sorry tried to rotate pictures but it wasn't working
Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Buckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MI Officer
Name: Chris
Buckoma's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing a boot is a crap job, probably easier to get a new CV.

Is your power steering res oily?
Old 03-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #3

no its not its clean and it just started doing this because i changed uca and there was nothing there when i did that
Old 03-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I ran mine with a leaky boot for over a year, not a problem. I eventually replaced it with a vatozone lifetime warranty axle.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Here you go..
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-c-v-boot.html
Old 03-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #6

thanks guys ill probably end up replacing both cv axles i was having the the problem with the front end shake around 55mph caused by the crappy bearing and had already bought the replacement bearing from east cost gear so replacing them seems like the best option for me but since i just spent over a grand on my truck i was trying not to spend to much money what would be the best replacement axles for the money oem or after market also will it be ok to run it for awhile with the torn boot i wont be doing much wheeling anytime soon?
Old 03-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohrryan View Post
thanks guys ill probably end up replacing both cv axles i was having the the problem with the front end shake around 55mph caused by the crappy bearing and had already bought the replacement bearing from east cost gear so replacing them seems like the best option for me but since i just spent over a grand on my truck i was trying not to spend to much money what would be the best replacement axles for the money oem or after market also will it be ok to run it for awhile with the torn boot i wont be doing much wheeling anytime soon?
Why would you replace the cv with crappy Chinese ones and loose the strength of the 30 spline OEM which is as strong as a Dana40 axle. Replacing a torn CV boot is fairly simple provided you have the proper tools
Old 03-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #8

OK so just replace the boot and when i decide to replace the axle go with oem