Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Anti-Sieze...Yes or No???

View Poll Results: Anti-sieze... Yes or No?
YES-always use anti-sieze 52 83.87%
NO-follow plug manufacturers directions 10 16.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
Elkhound is on a distinguished road
Navy: Machinest Mate
Name: Kurt
Elkhound's Tacoma Gallery
Anti-Sieze...Yes or No???

Greetings Tacoheads! I'm about to change my Denso Iridium plugs for the first time at 70k on my 2.7 2006 Taco. The question is whether or not to use anti-sieze? Denso has a website www.globaldenso.com/PLUG/ Just click on catalog downloads then click on Spark Plugs Training Manual 2005/2006 (English). This is a 100 page training manual. Page 61 gives notes for installing and removing Iridium plugs and there is no mention of using any anti-seize on Denso plugs. At www.ngksparkplugs.com there is a link under tech bulletins and releases on spark plugs and the use of anti-sieze. NGK recommends NOT to use anti-sieze due to a special trivalent Zinc-chromate shell plating on the threads. Both websites have you change the plugs on a COLD engine. So, what do you all think? Anti-sieze Yes or No?

BTW I purchsed my plugs from www.RockAuto.com At $5.79 a piece. Even with shipping it beats Advance Auto at $8.99 a piece if you don't mind the wait. You can also search TW for RockAuto to get a discount code to use at checkout.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
I used it. I've never heard not to use it on spark plugs though.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
huntdd is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Powered Support Mechanic
huntdd's Tacoma Gallery
I always use anti-seize on plugs. I don't see what the downside would be. Rockauto is the place I go for most of my parts.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
jpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpneely is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jpneely's Tacoma Gallery
Always! after 100,000+ miles those things can get seized up as shit! and you really dont want to to screw up a spark plug in your parking lot when you try and break it loose yourself.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Some of the newer designed plugs have taken into account the issue of seizure of old spark plugs. However I have always used it on my engines. I do however make sure that I use a minimal amount, getting the threads wet, but not dripping, and am cautious to not let any get on the electrode tip, or the ceramic.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #6
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
I've never used it personally, on my 2000 Taco or my 2011 I just did. I've never had a problem.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
ALWAYS!!!!

Anti-seize is what it says - prevents seizing of two metals. It has nothing to do with the performance of the plugs because its applied to the threads and threads only. I use it on my plugs, I use it on my lug nuts. I use it on the mating surfaces between the axle hubs/rotors. I use it on just about everything that's a metal-to-metal contact surface that's exposed to moisture and can rust & seize. I use it at work on similar metal-on-metal situations.

Not only does it prevent seizing metals, but it makes things a whole easier to take apart the next time you change your plugs (or fix it).

And honestly - Any 'special coating' doesn't mean anything unless it has a long time history & reputation for doing what it claims. I wouldn't trust it.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
YES! Especially in an Aluminum head.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Collins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to behold
Collins's Tacoma Gallery
Any recommendation on what type Anti-seize to use
for plugs??

Thanks.

PC
Old 03-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
hetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant future
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Locktite makes a very good, high nickel anti-seize that I personally use...expensive and usually available at better parts houses.

Howard
Old 03-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
streamreeper is just really nicestreamreeper is just really nicestreamreeper is just really nicestreamreeper is just really nice

Name: matt
streamreeper's Tacoma Gallery
the only reason not to would be the possibility of overtorqeing the plugs
Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Collins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to beholdCollins is a splendid one to behold
Collins's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
Locktite makes a very good, high nickel anti-seize that I personally use...expensive and usually available at better parts houses.

Howard
Thank you sir.

PC
Old 03-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I use it all the time, on areas exposed to high heat, like the plugs, and exhaust. But I would NOT use it on head bolts, due to it possibly affecting the applied torque.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Of course--do not leave home without it!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #15
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
YES! Especially in an Aluminum head.
This ^^
Old 03-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #16
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
I use it all the time, on areas exposed to high heat, like the plugs, and exhaust. But I would NOT use it on head bolts, due to it possibly affecting the applied torque.
Some people would say that was obvious, but you do make a good point by bringing attention to that. Do not EVER apply any kind of coating to any bolt that is a TTY bolt.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #17
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
Denso and NGK both have write-ups about their zinc coating on the spark plug threads. It is no longer necessary on quality plugs with coating already applied. However, they do mention that cheap, crappy plugs with black threads that tight-wads use absolutely still need anti-seize. I know this info is hard to take for some, but it is what it is. I replace plugs as part of a 120k service, and I have never had an issue with stuck plug threads, and that is with Denso coming out, and Denso going back in. Trust me in saying that Toyota and Lexus don't anti-seize anything. If you want to use the stuff, go ahead, but don't sweat it if you didn't.

Correction, they anti-seize the AF sensor threads, but that gets nasty-hot.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #18
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Put a little on the threads of your sparky plugs.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #19
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vstrom30 View Post
Correction, they anti-seize the AF sensor threads, but that gets nasty-hot.
What's an AF sensor?
Old 03-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #20
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
Air fuel sensors. New Toyota replacement AF and O2 sensors come with anti-seize already on the threads.

Products Discussed in this Thread