Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

ABS SKID/ECU Computer Replacement

Old 03-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
jonathan has a spectacular aura aboutjonathan has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jonathan
jonathan's Tacoma Gallery
ABS SKID/ECU Computer Replacement

Hey guys, so my ABS and traction control lights were lit.
I did all the trouble shooting I could do and then brought it in to the dealer.

They said I need a $3050.47 "SKID ECU/BRAKE ACTUATOR COMPUTER"
Part #44050-04100

Anyone have to replace this before?
I found a few $150 ABS computers on ebay but I am not sure if they are a scam/wrong part or not. I also found a guy that will sell me a remanufactured one for $350

Any info would be awesome, THANKS!

-jon
Old 03-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

cjimenRR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjimenRR
If you look on the abs actuator itself you should see the computer is bolted onto the actuator. Toyota doesn't sell the computer on its own hence the hefty price tag. Check where all the electrical connectors go on the computer there should be a part number, take that number to your local wrecking yards and buy just the ecu
Old 03-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #3

Awesome thanks for the super fast response!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
tacopa is on a distinguished road
tacopa's Tacoma Gallery
ABS & Trac lights

I just had mine replaced by the dealer less than a month ago and the lights have come back on twice. I took it back in and since they were not able to recreate it they told me there is nothing they could do. The truck only has 6,900 miles on it. The ABS & Trac lights would come on at random times(every several hundred to 1,000 miles. If I stopped the truck and shut it off for a few seconds, sometime it would go off(but not always). I spoke to the service coordinator at the dealer and he is setting up an appointment to have a Toyota Field Tech check it out. I have had multiple issues with this truck since day one and it is really starting to get old having to take so much time off of work to bring it into the dealer. The reason I buy new Toyotas is so I do not have these kind of inconveniences. I'll keep you posted on what they find.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
tacopa is on a distinguished road
tacopa's Tacoma Gallery
By the way, when I picked up the truck I had to sign their warranty paper for the covered repairs(replacement of brake actuator & driver's side door motor) and the total was around $2,500 for everything.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #6

Yikes! On such a new truck? That stinks.
Keep me posted. I still haven't done anything with my issue yet. I am just driving around trying not to slam on the brakes haha.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
That smells like pure gasoline
Erik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik's Tacoma Gallery
I have an issue where I have most likely burned something out. I did an ATRAC hack mod and one day wheeling with bigger tires, the ABS/VSC/limited slip shit the bed. I got the codes for it and it's saying that I have a drivers/rear wheel speed sensor malfunction (could also be the circuit) and a decelerator sensor malfunction (could also be the circuit). The two things that those codes have in common are the brake actuator (skid control ecu) could be damaged.

I tested the wheel sensors and they all are getting power except the drivers/rear. Tonight I will test the decel sensor under the drivers seat (if anyone can tell me how to get to it, I would be grateful to save an hour of work). If the decel sensor is not getting power, I think the next thing to do is test the skid control ecu. Any ideas how do I do that?

I just need to pass inspection so I will unplug the damn abs light bulbs before I spend 2500 to get a new computer. I liked wheeling with the atrac hack though so I want to get it working again if I can.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #8

I finally found the ECU on ebay, has anyone changed this out before?