Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Help!!!! My 2.7 coughed up a bunch of codes!!!!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
evilone is on a distinguished road
Name: evil
evilone's Tacoma Gallery
Help!!!! My 2.7 coughed up a bunch of codes!!!!

Hey everyone my 2008 2.7 a/c tacoma 2wd just threw me 6 codes?

p0300/ p0100/ p0102/ p0103/ p1025/ p050B Can anyone help me out by expaining what these pertain too? what do i have to fix or replace to clear them. thanks.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
This is for p0300

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...171-p0174.html

Sounds like a Mass air flow sensor issue from just googling p0300 and p0100. I would google the rest of the codes.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
evilone's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Bro.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Don't ask!
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Anytime.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Toyota Technician
Ryanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyanv is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ryan
Ryanv's Tacoma Gallery
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction
P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
P0103 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input
P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control
P050B COLD START IGNITION TIMING PERFORMANCE PROBLEM
Your MAF is toast or a bad wire do you have a k&n or other oiled air filter?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
OP you sure there arent any more codes? For a P0300 you will/should most of the time also have cylinder misfire codes...otherwise how can the ECU detect random/multiple misfires if there are no misfires present?

When does the engine run rough if ever? On cold starts does the engine idle rough ever?

Check the wiring to the spark plugs and injectors to ensure that they are all clipped in properly and nothing became loose. Also I dont know if this is possible but you can also get a wiring diagram and check to make sure the injectors and spark plugs are getting the proper voltage, wiring shows continuity and check the sensors for resistance.

First things first though, if you have an aftermarket air filter replace it/clean it and clean the MAF. If you can clear the faults and see if they will reoccur.

How many miles do you have and when were the spark plugs last changed?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
evilone's Tacoma Gallery
i have 102,000 miles on my taco, i changed the pulgs about 300 miles ago. i dont have an aftermarket or oiled air filter. ill try cleaning the maf to see if it fixes anything, thanks for all the help guys.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
OP you sure there arent any more codes? For a P0300 you will/should most of the time also have cylinder misfire codes...otherwise how can the ECU detect random/multiple misfires if there are no misfires present?

When does the engine run rough if ever? On cold starts does the engine idle rough ever?

Check the wiring to the spark plugs and injectors to ensure that they are all clipped in properly and nothing became loose. Also I dont know if this is possible but you can also get a wiring diagram and check to make sure the injectors and spark plugs are getting the proper voltage, wiring shows continuity and check the sensors for resistance.

First things first though, if you have an aftermarket air filter replace it/clean it and clean the MAF. If you can clear the faults and see if they will reoccur.

How many miles do you have and when were the spark plugs last changed?
When an engine has more than one cylinder misfiring, but it does not stay consistent (i.e. it misses, then fires good, then misses again) the computer sets the P0300. If the misfires are consistent enough, then it will set specific cylinder P03xx codes. You can have a P0300 without a P030X code, and you can have a P030X code without the P0300 code. Hence the title of the P0300 code "random" multiple misfires detected.

OP. Sometimes when you have so many codes, marking them down, then clearing and driving it again will help to reveal the final culprit. Unfortunately a misfire can cause an erratic MAF code, and this does make those multiple codes a challenge. I would think since dirty MAFs are so common, cleaning yours out with an approved cleaner would help.

The P0125 is typical of either a temp sensor going bad (the one located on the back of the cylinder head on the 2.7, not the one in the intake manifold) or a failed/stuck open thermostat.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
evilone's Tacoma Gallery
wow thanks for all the helpful info guys, im going to clean the maf and try reseting the codes tonight, if that doesnt work ill check the temp sensor and the thermostat .
Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
When an engine has more than one cylinder misfiring, but it does not stay consistent (i.e. it misses, then fires good, then misses again) the computer sets the P0300.If the misfires are consistent enough, then it will set specific cylinder P03xx codes. You can have a P0300 without a P030X code, and you can have a P030X code without the P0300 code. Hence the title of the P0300 code "random" multiple misfires detected.

My understanding is as such. A single cylinder misfire will cause a fault code for that cylinder...multiple cylinder misfires will show each individual cylinder as well as a random/multiple detected. The inconsistency of it should play no role. Fault code generated due to misfire detected, each occurrence thereafter (if it happens again) will be recorded under the original fault in the occurrence count memory. Misfires, if present, will continue to be counted and tracked in the occurrence count until the original misfire fault was cleared. Could it be that different manufacturers might write their software differently which is why we might have the differing understandings?

OP. Sometimes when you have so many codes, marking them down, then clearing and driving it again will help to reveal the final culprit. Unfortunately a misfire can cause an erratic MAF code, and this does make those multiple codes a challenge. I would think since dirty MAFs are so common, cleaning yours out with an approved cleaner would help.

The P0125 is typical of either a temp sensor going bad (the one located on the back of the cylinder head on the 2.7, not the one in the intake manifold) or a failed/stuck open thermostat.
^ above
Old 03-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilone View Post
i have 102,000 miles on my taco, i changed the pulgs about 300 miles ago. i dont have an aftermarket or oiled air filter. ill try cleaning the maf to see if it fixes anything, thanks for all the help guys.
What was the gap set to on the installed spark plugs?

Gapped to specs (or at least within the spec range)?
Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
evilone's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Guys, my plugs were gapped to spec, i cleaned the maf sensor and its still throwing codes so im just gonna have to bite the bullet and buy a new maf sensor.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
My understanding is as such. A single cylinder misfire will cause a fault code for that cylinder...multiple cylinder misfires will show each individual cylinder as well as a random/multiple detected. The inconsistency of it should play no role. Fault code generated due to misfire detected, each occurrence thereafter (if it happens again) will be recorded under the original fault in the occurrence count memory. Misfires, if present, will continue to be counted and tracked in the occurrence count until the original misfire fault was cleared. Could it be that different manufacturers might write their software differently which is why we might have the differing understandings?
What I am trying to explain is how those codes are assigned based on federal OBD2 misfire handling. A single cylinder misfire will NOT set a code at all. The computer needs to see a consistent misfire of the same cylinder over a set period of time before the codes will actually set. I am not able to find Toyota's specification, but in comparison, GM requires approximately 16 consecutive misfires before it will set a specific cylinder code (P030X) but it will set a P0100 if there are sufficient "random" or non-sequential misfires on a single cylinder, or on multiple cylinders.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
evilone's Tacoma Gallery
hey guys i was able to fix the problem. it was a bad maf sensor. She's running great and no more codes. thanks for all the help.