Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

My '09 is leaking oil! Assistance please

Old 03-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
My '09 is leaking oil! Assistance please

So just now went to go wash my truck and looked underneath to notice a wet spot around the oil pan. Crawled underneath and the entire pan is wet from the seal down. A small drip off the drain plug. Looks as though its spraying out of the gasket under pressure because their is no leak on the driveway or while its sitting turned off, but it sprayed all the way over onto the tranny area.

Details:
2009 4.0 with 49,950 miles. Been using Mobile 1 5-w30 since day one of owning the truck brand new. Last oil change was about 2100 miles ago. Did not use a new drain plug seal, just reused the existing one, BUT it doesn't seem to be leaking from there anyways. Looks like way higher up around the gasket.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
replace the oil pan gasket/oil pan i guess.... take it in for warranty work.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Its still under 7/70 powertrain (I think that's the terms) but no longer under 3/36 so hopefully this is covered. I also have a 7/100 Extra Care extended warranty but so far they haven't covered shit so that's probably a waste of time.

I'm sure this isn't a real expensive repair at all, but my concern is what would cause a gasket to go bad so quickly? Less than 50k and its leaking that bad
Old 03-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
usafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Weather Journeyman
Name: Zach
usafwx's Tacoma Gallery
What's more weird is it didnt throw a oil pressure/indicator light. Good luck, makes me question my 2011 with 38k.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Thin Blue Line

No dash lights or codes at all. Its been running just fine. Like I said no drips on the driveway so who knows how long its been leaking. Gonna check my oil level once it cools off in a bit. Seems pretty odd to me being such a low mile truck that has been taken care of religiously.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Its still under 7/70 powertrain (I think that's the terms) but no longer under 3/36 so hopefully this is covered. I also have a 7/100 Extra Care extended warranty but so far they haven't covered shit so that's probably a waste of time.

I'm sure this isn't a real expensive repair at all, but my concern is what would cause a gasket to go bad so quickly? Less than 50k and its leaking that bad
Thought we only had 5/60k power train warranty?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis, Truck: Baja
NewRider's Tacoma Gallery
From having removed one before and puttin gon a new gasket... That's cheap easy and takes about an hour to drain the oil, clean everything up, put on new gasket and replace. ( the cleaning and drying takes the longest). Gasket should just be a high temp, liquid style that squeeze a bead onto the pan with before tourquing it back into place.

If its not under warranty I'd suggest doing it yourself to make sure it's done write, especially sense it's very easy to do.

As to why its leaking in the first place: probably just factory fluke, it didn't get enough gasket on it or something. Look closely at the mating faces of the pan and bottom of the engine block to make sure there's no like dents or anything in either that could cause a bad seal.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Rear main seal..

Check where the motor meets the trans...does it look like the source? Or is it looking like the upper oil pan gasket.. either of the oil pan gasket seals are easy to replace but you have warrenty so that's no problem there. My oil pan has residue all around the gasket and many others too, but your leak is pretty significant

Also for shits n giggles but not likely with this motor..check the heads at the firewall for oil leaks dripping down..
Old 03-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafwx View Post
What's more weird is it didnt throw a oil pressure/indicator light. Good luck, makes me question my 2011 with 38k.
That will only happen if low pressure is detected which means in this case low on oil level but OP stated no puddles so its not leaking that bad..unless all of the oil has leaked out
Old 03-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Thin Blue Line

If its the rear main seal that would major suck! Power train warranty should cover it though right?? I hope so. But then they have to drop the tranny... will that cause long term issues for me?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
Fuera culeros..
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Ya it is the rear main seal...same spot mine leaked from about 2 years ago...
I just checked his truck and that's what it is VVVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Rear main seal..

Check where the motor meets the trans...does it look like the source? Or is it looking like the upper oil pan gasket.. either of the oil pan gasket seals are easy to replace but you have warrenty so that's no problem there. My oil pan has residue all around the gasket and many others too, but your leak is pretty significant
W
Also for shits n giggles but not likely with this motor..check the heads at the firewall for oil leaks dripping down..
Old 03-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
Power Top

Long term issues as in not taking care of it? Or getting it replaced?

First find out exactly what the source is and go from there..
Old 03-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
Thin Blue Line

Long term as in if its the rear main, will dropping the tranny for replacement cause problems down the line?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #16
usafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Weather Journeyman
Name: Zach
usafwx's Tacoma Gallery
yep, 60 month or 60,000 powertrain should cover both seals, take it to toyota on their dime.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
mine looked exactly like that too....pretty sure mine was the timing chain cover...so check that....mine randomly stopped lol....it all started when i switched oils.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
Power Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Long term as in if its the rear main, will dropping the tranny for replacement cause problems down the line?
No issues when done right..its not a complete tear down of the motor or anything like that, only removing the tranny to make room for main seal..replacing the actual seal itself is a two minute job
Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #20
Thin Blue Line

Well, I guess I'll take it in then. Either seals are gonna require an oil change though, and I doubt they will put synthetic back in, cheap bastards. Will probably charge me more for synthetic

We'll see I guess.

Question still remains, what could have caused this type of damage at such low miles and very little off road use? Something I could have avoided at all