Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

On board air

Old 02-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
josh3972000 is on a distinguished road
Army: 101st airborne Division (3/502)  25th Infantry Division (1/27)
josh3972000's Tacoma Gallery
On board air

I am in the middle of getting everything ready for a cheap oba set up, plan on installing this weekend, I have the MV 50, But I do have one question, any of you guys have good ideas on were to mount the compressor? I am thinking of an external tank as well.

I will post a complete walk through of my installation after the weekend.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
I have mine in my tool box. Alot of people mount them under the hood also, I have a 2.5 tank under the bed with the outlet run up the the storge boxs on the side of the bed.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:03 AM   #3
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
nice setup Silver. plan on getting a 450c setup in the near future. i noticed you picked the spot in the back to mount the tank...can it be put up towards the front of the bed? i would rather have it towards the cab, to keep it out of rear wheel spray.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Nice setup fellas!
Old 02-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I really want to get an onboard air setup except they're damn expensive for a good one. I was looking at getting a Viair 380 compressor and 2.5 gallon tank, or considering a CO2 air system as well. Anyone have any solid reasons to go either way? I like the portability of the CO2 and the constant hi pressure supply(and its a bit cheaper initially) but with the compressor you never have to pay for tank refills. I'm just a bit confused on which one to get.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the links silverback, looks like building a 10lb setup through those would run about $185 whereas a "source" air tank system through trdparts4u is about $220 and 240 through wheelersoffroad.com and that includes the air hose and a mounting bracket for the tank. The "powertank" brand systems are far more expensive for basically the same thing, so I'd get one of those "source" systems instead. One question on these systems that maybe you could answer- If I added ARB air lockers to my truck, could I just setup the CO2 system to fill a small on board air tank to power the lockers?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
You can save some more cash by buying the tank locally. A friend of mine bought his for $35 at a welding shop.

As for running lockers off it, you can but you'll need a better regulator.
In what way do you mean a better regulator? More PSI, or flow, or....?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
one with a gauge. ARB's only need about 95 PSI and without the gauge you could damage them.
Im about to buy an ARB for the rear what do you mean without a gauge you can damage them?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #9

Quote:
You don't need to give an ARB more than 95 PSI. If your tank has, lets say 140 PSI in it... you need a regulator that drops that down to 95 before it goes to the ARB.
O ok, Thanks
Old 02-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Actually I think it might even be lower. Of course when you get them you'll know for sure.
Ive hurd 100 and now 95 psi, So I dont know guess I find out here soon
Old 02-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #11
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running the ARB CKMA12 High output air compressor on the FJ. It is rated as a 50% duty cycle (30 min on/30 min off). I have found that I can air up all 4 of my 265/75 16's from 15psi to 36psi in 12 minutes. The good thing about the ARB CKMA12 is that on the unit itself there are 2 ports for the ARB air locker solenoids. The kit comes with a complete wiring loom with switch, connectors and a 100psi pressure switch and the install is pretty straight forward.

Link to my build and picture of ARB compressor installed (6th pic down)

Edit. TRDPARTS4U has the ARB CKMA12 for $225 and free shipping. Due not that the picture on the website is not the CKMA12.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #12
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
I'm running the ARB CKMA12 High output air compressor on the FJ. It is rated as a 50% duty cycle (30 min on/30 min off). I have found that I can air up all 4 of my 265/75 16's from 15psi to 36psi in 12 minutes. The good thing about the ARB CKMA12 is that on the unit itself there are 2 ports for the ARB air locker solenoids. The kit comes with a complete wiring loom with switch, connectors and a 100psi pressure switch and the install is pretty straight forward.

Link to my build and picture of ARB compressor installed (6th pic down)

Edit. TRDPARTS4U has the ARB CKMA12 for $225 and free shipping. Due not that the picture on the website is not the CKMA12.
Are you running an air tank with this compressor or just the compressor?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #13
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Compressor for now. Finishing up work on a 3.5 gallon tank. Don't know if I'll keep it though. Compressor is fine for me.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can also mount it directly above the axle. Thats where I put mine.
Check your suspension compression /setup etc.

Just throwing this at ya.... I had a similar sized tank (so it appears anyway) mounted above my axle on my jeep. Went to Tellico, broke a shock mount.... and my rear suspension compressed farther than normal and the diff hit the tank and the tank bent the floor upwards pretty good.

Needless to say - I ended up putting a longer & shorter tank in the same location.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:57 AM   #15
Banned
Bill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to behold
Bill Brasky's Tacoma Gallery
If I were to do it again, I would skip the whole tank setup and go with just a high-CFM (6 or 7) compressor like an Oasis or an Extreme Air. Regulate it down for lockers and use it full out to fill tires. Don't really need a tank...and it would run air tools.

C02 bottles have a tendancy to run out of C02 at the very worst possible time...like on the trail. A compressor keeps on keeping on and is a one-time investment. It gets hectic enought trying to get ready for a trip out...the last thing I need is something else to worry about being done before I head out...like getting the C02 bottle topped-off.

BTW- it's 80 psi for ARB lockers. 95-100 is a maximum condition. If you shoot 140 psi through your diff, it will blow the seals out, no ifs, ands, buts or maybes about it...it just will.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #17
Banned
Bill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to behold
Bill Brasky's Tacoma Gallery
lol, I have the bad seals to prove it.

I was told you could run 110/120psi w.o a problem...but putting that into practice proved otherwise.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #18

BTW- it's 80 psi for ARB lockers. 95-100 is a maximum condition. If you shoot 140 psi through your diff, it will blow the seals out, no ifs, ands, buts or maybes about it...it just will.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip
Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #19
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
here is a link for all kinds of OBA stuff, i know its a lowrider site but who cares...

http://www.suicidedoors.com/catalog/...nt/compressors