LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Rear Diff Oil and Red Fluid on driveshaft

Old 03-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Rear Diff Oil and Red Fluid on driveshaft

Will this fluid work for the rear diff oil in a 06 DCLB Sport?
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7036192
And if so, should I add friction modifier or not?

While under the truck I noticed a small clean drop of red fluid on the bottom of the round metal housing that connects the drive shaft to the transmission. Is this an indication of needing a new output seal?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
Pretty quiet in here huh?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
I have that same drop
Old 03-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Read the bottle on the oil jug to make sure it's got the friction modifier required for a limited slip differential and not just compatable with a limited slip differential. A lot of gear oils say limited slip compatable but that means you still need to add the friction modifier to make the LSD function properly.

As far as the fluid, I think I'd be looking at changing that seal if I were you.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTRD View Post
Will this fluid work for the rear diff oil in a 06 DCLB Sport?
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7036192
And if so, should I add friction modifier or not?

While under the truck I noticed a small clean drop of red fluid on the bottom of the round metal housing that connects the drive shaft to the transmission. Is this an indication of needing a new output seal?

Thanks!
RED fluid is your automatic transmission so you need to change seal and make sure transmission fluid level is correct.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Thanks everyone, I went ahead and changed the diff out with some new fluid and additive. I replaced the leaky seal and will be compiling a DIY on it for TW.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
Was it hard ? I havent bothered because its so minimal
Old 03-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
Easy as pie, and it may seem like an insignificant leak but mine was at least 1/2-3/4 quart low when I topped up after fixing it.

Id say do it, and if you need some pointers check my DIY write up.
Should take 20 mins and about $20 for the seal and a quart of Toyota WS ATF fluid.

Ive been checking my housing everyday since doing it and no more leak!