Notices

Tailgate Assist

Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
North & South
ADKer is on a distinguished road

Name: ADKer
ADKer's Tacoma Gallery
Tailgate Assist

Read threads on this subject from years back. Interesting, thanks!

Info ... there are still new, in the wrapper, kits available on ebay; someone must have purchased lots of DeeZee stock when they discontinued production of the kits for Tacomas.

More importantly, there were issues with the stock cable binding and wearing with the kit installed. DeeZee resolved this on newer kits by adding a "cable clip". This is barrel shaped rubber clip that snaps onto the stock cable preventing it from wedging between the truck body and the pneumatic cylinder of the kit.

Just installed mine, works great, no cable problems ... wish it were a Toyota option!!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
I want a tailgate assist... cant find any out there
Old 03-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
North & South
ADKer is on a distinguished road

Name: ADKer
ADKer's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-07-08-...-/180789241068

Got mine here ==> http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-07-08-09-TOYOTA-TACOMA-EZDOWN-SMOOTH-TAILGATE-KIT-NEW-PRICE-/180789241068

[/url][/IMG]
Old 03-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
link doesn't work...
Old 06-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
squatnbear will become famous soon enoughsquatnbear will become famous soon enough
Marines:
squatnbear's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered one the link is working.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
Frost2012 is on a distinguished road
Frost2012's Tacoma Gallery
is there a tailgate assist for a 2012 tacoma? Can't find any online.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
No love for the first gens...
Old 07-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
tacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud oftacomalimited has much to be proud of

tacomalimited's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSportD View Post
No love for the first gens...
I didn't see it for the '12 our '13's either! The latest year I saw was 2011. Are the 2011 tailgates that much different from the 2012 & 2013's?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
Navy: Lead PO Submarine Reactor Control Dvision
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
If you check the hood lift page there is an option to add on the tailgate with a discount. Either the applicability data base is out of date or the '11 will fit '13 or neither is correct

http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-TOY-TACOMA-95+.html

""2005-2013
Our Price: $69.95
Model #21-27010

Tail-gate EZDown option available for 05-13 Tacoma, savings of $15 when purchased together using the link above. For more informationon EZDown, visit our parts page...""
Old 07-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #11
hpeeler is on a distinguished road
hpeeler's Tacoma Gallery
What size torx bit do you need to get the tailgate bolt off? I tried 5mm but it didn't fit real well. Maybe it's not torx?
Old 07-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
Navy: Lead PO Submarine Reactor Control Dvision
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
Will be back later with torx size; I was not using a ratchet and bit so needed a bit of a cheater.

Note that the E-Z Down would not work on my '13 sport. Insufficient Clarence on either side of the cylinder. Could make it work but would need to force the gates shut and jam the cable. Removed it.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
hpeeler is on a distinguished road
hpeeler's Tacoma Gallery
I found the right size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasllc View Post
Insufficient Clarence on either side of the cylinder. Could make it work but would need to force the gates shut and jam the cable. Removed it.
Yeah I found this out too. I have to push the cable to the side of the cylinder to get it to close. Not sure if I will keep it or not.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKer View Post
Read threads on this subject from years back. Interesting, thanks!

Info ... there are still new, in the wrapper, kits available on ebay; someone must have purchased lots of DeeZee stock when they discontinued production of the kits for Tacomas.

More importantly, there were issues with the stock cable binding and wearing with the kit installed. DeeZee resolved this on newer kits by adding a "cable clip". This is barrel shaped rubber clip that snaps onto the stock cable preventing it from wedging between the truck body and the pneumatic cylinder of the kit.

Just installed mine, works great, no cable problems ... wish it were a Toyota option!!

I see I can get the old one for $30 like you did. What did you do to duplicate the part on newer kits by adding a "cable clip". This is barrel shaped rubber clip that snaps onto the stock cable preventing it from wedging between the truck body and the pneumatic cylinder of the kit. Thanks.