Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Replacing Fuel Injectors - Code P0306

Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
docbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the sheddocbrown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

docbrown's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing Fuel Injectors - Code P0306

I am getting a code P0306 on my 2005 Tacoma. I have replaced the plugs and moved the coil pack from cylinder 6 to cylinder 1 but the code still points to cylinder 6. The truck will stumble/miss at start up after it has been sitting for a while, but then once it has warmed up, it smooths out. I have checked the coolant for oil and the oil for coolant and there does not appear to be a head gasket issue as both the coolant and oil look normal. I am thinking fuel injector (I am at 172k miles). I am currently running fuel injector cleaner and tank of 93 octane through it hoping that this is just a dirty injector.

Now to my question: I have looked at the FSM and it indicates that the cooling system should be drained when changing out the fuel injectors. I have searched to see if there is any information on the site about changing out the injectors and the link below is the only thing I have found that is relevant. In looking at the link, I don't see anywhere that draining the coolant is required to change an injector. Am I missing something or is the FSM incorrect? While I am not an auto mechanic, I am fairly competent when it comes to mechanical repairs. I just don't want to drain the coolant if I don't have to and also make sure I have the tools/materials available to complete the job once I have started.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...tallation.html