Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Topped off coolant with non-OEM...Drain immediately?

Old 04-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #21
jlleiber has a spectacular aura aboutjlleiber has a spectacular aura about
Name: Justin
jlleiber's Tacoma Gallery
So it definitely drained out while just sitting there on vacation. Found a pink pool on the ground directly below where the reservoir sits. However, I can't for the life of me find any pink residue in the engine compartment anywhere. Also, I removed the radiator cap and the liquid under there is yellow?? I would assume this is from the previous owner putting whatever coolant in there he had. So, any ideas as to where it may be leaking while the truck IS NOT running? Any thoughts is appreciated. I'm on the verge of just taking it to the dealership now
Old 04-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #22
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Take it to a shop and ask them to pressure test the cooling system. This should expose most leaks.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Take it to a shop and ask them to pressure test the cooling system. This should expose most leaks.
Called my local dealership and the lady told me they typically do a die of some sort, which makes little sense to me since the stuffs already pink? And I asked if they pressure tested cooling systems and she sounded clueless. Also, just to LOOK at the truck, it'll be $75. Beyond me.

Any recommendations as far as shops to go to?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #24
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
UV dye, you add it to the system and then when it leaks out you can use a blacklight and some yellow glasses to trace it back to the source of the leak. Comes in a nifty little kit for like 25 30 bucks or something.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
UV dye, you add it to the system and then when it leaks out you can use a blacklight and some yellow glasses to trace it back to the source of the leak. Comes in a nifty little kit for like 25 30 bucks or something.
Ahhh nice! Just found the 3 parts to the kit on amazon for $20. Might give that a go.. Thanks
Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #26
chriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shedchriss is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: chris
chriss's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlleiber View Post
So it definitely drained out while just sitting there on vacation. Found a pink pool on the ground directly below where the reservoir sits. However, I can't for the life of me find any pink residue in the engine compartment anywhere. Also, I removed the radiator cap and the liquid under there is yellow?? I would assume this is from the previous owner putting whatever coolant in there he had. So, any ideas as to where it may be leaking while the truck IS NOT running? Any thoughts is appreciated. I'm on the verge of just taking it to the dealership now
Check the drain fitting on the bottom of the reservoir.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #27
Yep checked that first. Ended up crawling under the truck tonight and pulled off the skid plates to get a better look and saw pink residue on multiple bolts on the water pump, so I'm afraid that the seal and water pump itself have gone bad :/
Old 04-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #28
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Are the bolts tight :P
Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #29
Quote:
Are the bolts tight :P
haha, well it's on 3 of them so hopefully not all of them rattled loose...

here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Topped off coolant with non-OEM...Drain immediately?-coolant-leak.jpg  
Old 04-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #30

Definitely looks like it's running down from above.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #31
medusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nicemedusa1066 is just really nice
Name: Jonathan
medusa1066's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...placement.html

Mine went out at ~58,000 miles.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #32
Quote:
Definitely looks like it's running down from above.
Would that be a bad seal then? It looks like it's coming from behind the water pump, which I can't see at all. Is the only option to take it off and check?

Also, the pic I took is a little misleading - I was crawled under the truck so I think it's sort of upside down. The direction that the leak appears to be coming from actually wraps around the bottom of the water pump
Old 04-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusa1066 View Post
Thanks man - I've actually been referencing your thread this whole time trying to figure out my repair cost and if I can do it myself or not.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #34
93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

93civEJ1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDJY View Post
you should just be adding a little water if its low

This.

You cant really mix with Toyota Red from what I have read, but water has better cooling propertys, thats why its ok to top off with water.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
This.

You cant really mix with Toyota Red from what I have read, but water has better cooling propertys, thats why its ok to top off with water.
Perfect thanks!

For now I have a bottle of distilled water and a jug of Toyota Pink sitting in the back. And alternating adding each one until I get to replacing the water pump here in the next couple weeks.