Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Manual Transmission Issue

Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Pay it Forward
Graham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant future

Graham's Tacoma Gallery
Manual Transmission Issue

I have a 05 OR manual 6 speed with 197K miles and the original clutch. I have never had any issues with it until the last couple of weeks. It now doesn't shift into gear smoothly anymore. I have to compress the clutch to the floor board and push with some effort to get it into gear. When the engine is off, I have no trouble shifting between gears smoothly but with it running it is a pain. I have checked the fluid level and it is fine and I see no evidence of any leaks.

I need suggestions on what to check and what it may be?

I am hoping it is a clutch issue and not something deep and dark inside the transmission.

Give me some thoughts TW
Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Does the pedal feel more spongy or does the pedal engage close to the floor?

It sounds like a clutch issue, or possibly a hydraulics issue.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Christian Off Road Engineering
C O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clint
C O R E's Tacoma Gallery
I'm assuming you have already bled the clutch lines and removed the air...

That being said, does your clutch pedal come halfway up on the return and you have to pull it up the rest of the way with your foot? If so, then your return spring/bushings may be shot and it's a pretty simple fix.

Sounds like you're having symptoms of a clutch not fully engaging.

If you did not already bleed the system, when you do, if there is air in the system try replacing or rebuilding the slave cylinder which is cheaper than the master, and if that doesn't fix, replace the master.

Start with the cheapest fixes first and work your way up to the expensive ones as process of elimination.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Pay it Forward
Graham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant futureGraham has a brilliant future

Graham's Tacoma Gallery
The clutch feels spoogy but does release completely back to original position. I do not have to pull it back out with my foot.

I have not bled the air from the system but will try that and then get back to you all.

Thanks and stay tuned.

Any other comments are welcome!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Pay it Forward

Graham's Tacoma Gallery
Follow up request!

Any write ups or info on how to bleed the air from the MT system?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the possibility of a worn clutch. Similar thing happened on a buddy of mine's Tacoma. Hard to get into gear when running, and the clutch would engage much faster than expected when he lifted the pedal in gear.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Bad clutch

My clutch was replaced on my '07 sport by the previous owner @ 17k miles.
I know there is a issue with a churp from bad throw-out bearings, but at 197k miles on the original clutch, isnt that pretty good service life?