1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front brakes, how hard to service them?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ZMan2k2, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Apr 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Funny... first few times doing disc (back in the 70s) I'd pull the pads and then run the c-clamp all the way into the bottom of the (single) piston.
    Got tired of wearing out my finger spinning the clamp and cut a block of wood into the shape of a pad.
    Used it once, then the fog cleared in my head and I just left the pads in.

And I think my '03 Tundra was a 4-piston caliper. I only changed those pads once in the 130k I had that truck, but I remember compressing the pistons being more of a pain than normal. Pretty sure I compressed them still on the rotor, and slipped shims between the pads and rotor until the pistons were seated.

2. May 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    Talking Rock Taco

Talking Rock Taco Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Debadged
    Removed all badging to this point
    Had my 2012 Tacoma in the dealer today when the Door Remote stopped and they reprogrammed it and told me my front pads were almost gone.
    42K miles and gone? True we live in the mountains but my last 2 Chevys
    had a lot more life for pads on the same roads. Had 189K miles on Colorado
    with one set of pads. HHR had 89K miles with 1 set of pads. Do I drive my Taco harder-NO! the Colorado had been on a road race course 3 times in 3 years so I don't think that is the problem. What should the life of Ceramic Pads be on a 4wd-4dr Taco? BTW: Replaced them with ceramic pads. Any
    help with this question.:confused:

3. May 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM
    Ronn

Ronn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Westin bullbar, KC slimlites, Mini D2S headlight retrofit, 5100 front @ 1.75 and 5100 rear, Wheelers HD leaf pack
    There's no set brake pad life. Pull the wheel off and have a look, it takes about 15 minutes for both sides while drinking a beer!;)

4. Nov 4, 2013 at 6:21 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Just did this, thanks for the vid Chris, made it super easy.

5. Mar 16, 2016 at 7:43 PM
    neverstuck

neverstuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB sport
    slide-in camper, OME Nitros w 884's and Dakars, Michelin A/T2, Pro EFX heated towing mirrors, Timbren HD bumpstops, KB VooDoo bed rails and tailgate cap, ImMrYo rvm bracket, G-Tek Fab door sill protectors, Ultragauge, window visors, hood deflector, Wet Okole seatcovers, in-vehicle safe.
    Anyone have a good recommendation of what to use for greasing the slide pins? They seized up on my last Taco before I could even get through a set of pads. I want to include brake servicing in my routine and do it every year or so. I was thinking of just spraying everything down with brake cleaner then greasing the pins, but not sure what is best to use. I was thinking just some anti-seize but maybe a white lithium grease is better. Thoughts?

Aside from brake fluid change (which I'm in no panic to do) anything else I should do with brake servicing/maintenance?

6. Mar 16, 2016 at 7:50 PM
    jgantzler

jgantzler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    I used copper anti-seeze on mine. Should be alright I would hope.

7. Apr 23, 2016 at 2:17 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    OK so let me understand this . We don't need to turn / resurface the roters ? I remember the olden days it needed to be done or you would get a vibration after about 2000 or 3000 miles.

8. Apr 23, 2016 at 5:23 PM
    Brian007Taco

Brian007Taco 007Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    If you ask. You don't know me very well!
    Mesa, AZ to NM to OK to UT back to Mesa
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red TRD OR 4x4 DCSB (aka Clifford the Big Red Truck)
    12 OR DCSB 4x4 265/75/16 Goodyear Ultra Terrain wrapped on MB352's. OME 886's w/5100's front and back, and Dakars. Derped Emblems. KM Fab sliders, Mobtown Front and back bumpers w/tire gate, KM Fab Bed Rack, Bestop Supertop, Matt Gecko bed lights. Tree Smashed Taco 06 OR AC Prerunner! OME 885 with 5100's in front, TSB and AAL with 5125's in back. 30" light bar in the valance.
    On my 06, I got almost 60k on the first set and about 90k on the second set. They were the same oem pads too.

Products Discussed in

To Top