LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Front brakes, how hard to service them?

Old 03-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
ZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Front brakes, how hard to service them?

So I did my 90k service today, and noticed that I'm almost to the wear clips on my front brakes. My rears still have plenty of meat on them, so it's just the front that I need to worry about. How hard is it to swap the front pads and rotors? Should I go OEM, or would an upgrade be in order? EBC pads and rotors for example.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
OEM pads aree the best mix of performance, low dust, and stopping power. Its easy as pie to replace them. Loosen the brake fluid resivoire, Pull the tire off, remove the spring clip, remove 2 pins on the front and back of the caliper, then slide the pads out. Carfully compress the pistons, then insert the new pads. Do one side of the caliper at a time, so as to not have one side of pistons over extend while you are compressing the others in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6mB_YQP0r8
Old 03-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Stick with OEM.

I've used EBC on my bike and have not been happy with them.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Stick with OEM.

I've used EBC on my bike and have not been happy with them.
This ^^^

Remember, "Performance" pads are softer, and will wear out quicker. "Longevity" pads are harder, and can be hard on your rotors. OEM is the best of both worlds.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

And shortcuts.

EBC specifies the same pad for the front and rear right side of the Vulcan 1600.
It's a 4mm pad.

OEM pads have two different part numbers for the front and rear. Front pad is 4mm, rear pad is 9mm.

The Kawasaki pads lasted 15k. The EBC pads lasted 7k, and were very "grabby"... had a few "oh shit" moments where they locked up. But even though they were "grabby", they didn't stop any better.
Kawasaki pads were less than $10 more than the EBC pads... $170 vs $150 for the set of 3 pads.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
ZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. And thanks chris for the video. So easy a caveman can do it, or me, whichever. Time to order me up some new pads.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Front brakes is much easy. I'm in the middle of drum brake hell with my passenger rear right now. Gotta wait for the dealership to open up tomorrow so I can get new shoes. The old ones got warped when the e-brake lever froze out of place then slipped outside the reaction lever. It was a mess in there...broken return spring, I had to file down the lip of the backing plate so it won't rub and squeal on the drum... to top it off, Autozone gave me the wrong aftermarket brake shoes.

Only went with them because the dealership was closed today. Returning them in the morning and picking up the OEM stuff.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #8

ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to the video, I had the fronts done in 45 min. The pins were rusted in pretty good, but a brass drift and a hammer fixed that. No shimmy, no squeal, and I have brakes that will last another 90k kms. Thanks again guys.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
esse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
brake pads

They are very easy to do. You might want to consider getting the ceramic pads because they release less brake dust, I little more pricey but well worth it I think. One thing that hasn't been covered in this thread is Don't forget to remove the fluid reservior cap when you press the calipers pistons back in, keep an eye on the fluid level constantly as you do this step, you might need to remove some fluid out. good luck man
Old 04-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #10
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of lubricant does he put on the back of those pads?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:44 PM   #11
DESRTRNNR is just really niceDESRTRNNR is just really niceDESRTRNNR is just really niceDESRTRNNR is just really nice
DESRTRNNR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
What kind of lubricant does he put on the back of those pads?
its not really lubricant.. it is an ant vibration compound to keep brake squeal from happening.. that tab he pointed out but didnt know what it was is actually a built in squealer that lets you know your pads need to be replaced..
Old 04-13-2013, 11:57 PM   #12
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd. can't wait to replace mines. noob question, but how do you actually loosen the fluid reservoirs?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #13
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
sub'd. can't wait to replace mines. noob question, but how do you actually loosen the fluid reservoirs?
Just open the cap.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #14
007Taco
Brian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrian007Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Brian007Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to need to do mine soon. Do you have to have the rotors done everytime you replace your brakes, or is that a dealership gimic to get more money out of you.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #15
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
Just open the cap.
haha thanks, and I thought I had loosen things up or something.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #16
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmccoy007 View Post
I am going to need to do mine soon. Do you have to have the rotors done everytime you replace your brakes, or is that a dealership gimic to get more money out of you.
We always machined rotors if we could or put new ones on when I was working in a repair shop. Bendix Brakes seminar I went to recommended the same thing to ensure proper mating of the new surfaces. Downside to not doing it is lack of stopping power, squealing, chatter etc. but I've never experienced any of those. YMMV
Old 04-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #17

ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
I mic'd the rotors, and there's plenty of meat left on mine. All I did was rough up the surface with some 400grit sandpaper to help the bed in process. The rotor surface itself was plenty flat, without ridges from previous pads, to need a resurface.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:42 AM   #18
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
OEM pads aree the best mix of performance, low dust, and stopping power. Its easy as pie to replace them. Loosen the brake fluid resivoire, Pull the tire off, remove the spring clip, remove 2 pins on the front and back of the caliper, then slide the pads out. Carfully compress the pistons, then insert the new pads. Do one side of the caliper at a time, so as to not have one side of pistons over extend while you are compressing the others in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6mB_YQP0r8
So you're saying don't do it exactly like the video?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #19

LOL...

I leave the old pads in place to compress the pistons. Makes it a lot easier on dual-piston calipers. Never done 4-piston (that I recall)
Old 04-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #20
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
LOL...

I leave the old pads in place to compress the pistons. Makes it a lot easier on dual-piston calipers. Never done 4-piston (that I recall)
Same. And yeah I'd do one caliper at a time like Chris said.