1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

diff swap on first gen, need help.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by stitch, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Apr 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM
    stitch

stitch [OP] PreRunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    04 prerunner sr5 v6 double cab
    none yet
    hi, im not very good with starting these threads so i apologize if its not grammatically correct. For some reason when i bought my pre-runner, i thought that i had a LSD. Boy was i mistaken when a friend and i got stuck in a flat soft dirt parking lot on a military installation. After the embarrassment of saying that "my LSD will kick in" and it never did i decided to do some research. Apparently the pre-runners do not have a LSD if its not a TRD edition, my bad, i found that it had a open diff. To avoid any further embarrassing endeavors i would like to swap my open diff with a TRD LSD. Now I do not know if that is possible and if it is, would i have to fab stuff. If that is not possible, i will install a locker. i would rather have the LSD cause it will increase handling in all weather. If any body had any insight on a diff swap or a locker please let me know. Any info is welcome no matter how small. thank you every body.

2. Apr 6, 2013 at 8:16 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    No first gen Tacomas came from the factory with LSD. Not sure where you got your information, but its wrong. Only e-lockers came with the TRD package.

You can install an aftermarket LSD into your existing differential. Thats what I did. I removed the diff, took it to a local gear-shop and they installed the LSD into it for around $700.

Products Discussed in

To Top