diff swap on first gen, need help.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
PreRunner
stitch is on a distinguished road

Army: ch-47 CC
Name: Erick
stitch's Tacoma Gallery
diff swap on first gen, need help.

hi, im not very good with starting these threads so i apologize if its not grammatically correct. For some reason when i bought my pre-runner, i thought that i had a LSD. Boy was i mistaken when a friend and i got stuck in a flat soft dirt parking lot on a military installation. After the embarrassment of saying that "my LSD will kick in" and it never did i decided to do some research. Apparently the pre-runners do not have a LSD if its not a TRD edition, my bad, i found that it had a open diff. To avoid any further embarrassing endeavors i would like to swap my open diff with a TRD LSD. Now I do not know if that is possible and if it is, would i have to fab stuff. If that is not possible, i will install a locker. i would rather have the LSD cause it will increase handling in all weather. If any body had any insight on a diff swap or a locker please let me know. Any info is welcome no matter how small. thank you every body.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
No first gen Tacomas came from the factory with LSD. Not sure where you got your information, but its wrong. Only e-lockers came with the TRD package.

You can install an aftermarket LSD into your existing differential. Thats what I did. I removed the diff, took it to a local gear-shop and they installed the LSD into it for around $700.