Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

OEM Battery Life

View Poll Results: 7 Year Old OEM Battery Replacement
Replace now as a precaution. 21 41.18%
Run it until it dies. 30 58.82%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #21
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardscrabble View Post
I voted to replace now, before failure. I've always been a preventative type maintainer on my vehicles. Fix it before it fails. Seven yrs. on a battery is good.
I've alway been a preventative person on my rigs also, like greasing u joints, checking the air filter before it gets to dirty, rotating tires before its too late, checking the air pressure once a week, changing the oil and filter blah blah.

I've always been told from numerous people. ( If it ain't broke don't fix it!) I believe in that. To each their own.

Thanks,

Brett
Old 04-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #22
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
A battery costs the equivalent of three oil changes, lasts a lot longer if properly maintained, and like oil, required to operate the vehicle.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #23
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
When I traded in my '99 Mazda, for my '11 Tacoma, it still had the original battery. I never had any issues with it.

Frank
Old 04-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #24
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
From what I've read, & personal experience they tend to crap out at about 70k
Old 04-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #25
Conceal Carry
slodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant futureslodc4 has a brilliant future

Name: Steven
slodc4's Tacoma Gallery
Mine died at 5 years and 110k miles
Old 04-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #26
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Mine's going strong at 7.5 years and 65k.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #28
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Age and temperature.

Lower miles is going to be a negative because the battery will be spending more of it's life in a lower state of charge.

6 years in the high desert? I'd replace it before summer.... and I plan to do the same on my '08 unless I can find documentation or a sticker somewhere indicating that it is not original.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #29
Tcomaboy is on a distinguished road
Name: BakFlip customer service SUCKS
Tcomaboy's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced my 3 year old oem battery as a precaution.... Last thing I need is to be stuck somewhere at an inoportune time with kids
Old 04-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #30
wyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: BLM/FS
wyotaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Replaced the stock battery when it was 7 years old with an interstate megatron.

It started the truck up just fine, but replaced it as a precaution to avoid a bad situation.

A good thing about replacing a battery before its totally dead is it gives you time to shop around and find a good deal on a new one. Got the Interstate 27F battery for $89 after looking for a few weeks.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #31
Grumpy old man - get off my lawn
rleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant futurerleete has a brilliant future
Name: Roger
rleete's Tacoma Gallery
If you get your batteries from Interstate (and why wouldn't you?), ask if they have any blems. Much cheaper, you just don't get as good a warranty. Only one year.

Regular battery: $112 + tax.
Blem: $40, tax included.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #32
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba353z View Post
What he said.

Used to be they'd start slower when the were dying - the last two I had to replace we're fine in the morning and the wouldn't start the next try.
that is what my 2009 did a few days before it died prematurely. It was only 3 years old. I had a Ford battery crap out the first year. Fortunately I had the boat with me and just pulled one out of it.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #33
randyg123 is on a distinguished road
Name: Randy
randyg123's Tacoma Gallery
This just dawned on me on what we used to do back in 'the day'. I am rarely off road or in remote locations anymore so having a battery die isn't that much of a deal. Get a jump, go get a new battery, not that big of a deal. But way back in the olden days when I had tons of room under the hood of my 74 F-100, I installed a second battery with a knife switch. Other Ford and Chevy drivers did the same. This was mostly so we can run steroes for hours and hours and hours while camping but the security measure was there too. Had a small tool box bolted in under the hood too. Aaaaah, those were the days:-)
Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #34
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
7 years and 150,000 miles on my original OEM battery. I've drained it below the point of starting at least 4 or 5 times now, and at least 3 of those times even the dome light wouldn't come on.

Each time I've put it on an automatic charger for a few hours, or jumped it and drove 30-45 minutes to work and put it on the charger when I got home. I credit the charger with maintaining it this long. It has a "desulfinate" cycle, and switches over to trickle charge once it's fully charged.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #35
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
6 years... Still on my 3rd one for the last 16 years....
Old 05-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #36
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Elkhound, run it until it (almost) dies.
I have always had some indication that the battery is starting to go.
For example, draining by leaving the dome light on, a little slower to start, etc.
The main thing is to listen to your truck. It will tell you what you need to do.
When that happens I do a trickle charge, and always seem to get another year or two.
After a few "issues", but not to the point of getting or going to get stuck, I replace with a high quality battery. Your time will come. Probably in the fall, and just in time for your harsh New England winter. Good Luck.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #37
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Man Marty View Post
Elkhound, run it until it (almost) dies.
I have always had some indication that the battery is starting to go.
For example, draining by leaving the dome light on, a little slower to start, etc.
The main thing is to listen to your truck. It will tell you what you need to do.
When that happens I do a trickle charge, and always seem to get another year or two.
After a few "issues", but not to the point of getting or going to get stuck, I replace with a high quality battery. Your time will come. Probably in the fall, and just in time for your harsh New England winter. Good Luck.

That's what I do. Throw it on the charger all day or over night if I leave the heated mirrors or anything else on that causes a struggle to start or no indicator lights. I've done that 4-5 times now, and still have the same battery the truck came with in 2006.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #38
NiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of lightNiceGuyEddie is a glorious beacon of light

NiceGuyEddie's Tacoma Gallery
3 years, 10 months, and 64,000 miles.

very surprised.

near a park reading a book, i charged my phone and listened to Pandora thru the AUX for 1 hour a few days ago. the next day, it took 3 turns/cranks to start. first rain of the season, first cold of the season, so i just said, "that was weird."

next day, 5 turns/cranks to start. drove to Autozone. they checked it and said it's bad. it would not start again - not even close, and i had to buy a battery at the store.

very surprised.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:29 AM   #39
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post
3 years, 10 months, and 64,000 miles.

very surprised.

near a park reading a book, i charged my phone and listened to Pandora thru the AUX for 1 hour a few days ago. the next day, it took 3 turns/cranks to start. first rain of the season, first cold of the season, so i just said, "that was weird."

next day, 5 turns/cranks to start. drove to Autozone. they checked it and said it's bad. it would not start again - not even close, and i had to buy a battery at the store.

very surprised.

I'd say very lucky 2 B at Auozone and not in a park when it would not start again - couldn't have worked out better.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #40
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
VERY lucky that he had a warning.
Any time I've lost a battery, it's been in the middle of the day, no warning, just get back in after making a stop to buy something and nothing.

Happened once at Pep Boys, and happened once about a block away from Walmart.