Run it until it dies. 30 58.82%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Elkhound is on a distinguished road
Navy: Machinest Mate
Name: Kurt
Elkhound's Tacoma Gallery
OEM Battery Life

My 2006 Taco still has its original battery. At 7 years and 70k miles there is still a "green" dot on the battery condition eye. No problems with starting (catches on the 3rd crank) and I have maintained the acid level yearly using distilled water. Should I keep the original until failure or replace as a precaution due to age? Your thoughts
Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
randyg123 is on a distinguished road
Name: Randy
randyg123's Tacoma Gallery
If it ain't broke, don't fix it :-) My original OEM batteries in a Camry and a Highlander each lasted about 6-7 years. Replacements rarely seem to last more than a few years. Keep yours until it goes. I've already had to replace my 08 Taco battery last year.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced my 27F OEM battery in January. Truck is and '07 purchased in October of '06. That makes it 6 1/4 years old. After and oil change at the dealer they suggested to replace it as a precaution as it aparently had only 450cca. I did get a new 27F 710cca 165min reserve capacity Interstate. Living in cold Canada, did not want to take any more chances. Imo 6 years is respectable.

In US you can get OEM True Start 27F battery for $85 or less. Up here, they charge $200. For $85 or so I would just get it done.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Motorshooter
Motorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: IC2 SS
Motorshooter's Tacoma Gallery
The battery in my 07 died last Friday. Thankfully it was in my driveway when it gave up the spirit to live
Old 04-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Keep it till it goes is usually my motto.

My buddy had trouble with his battery once and just changed it at 5 yrs from then on..I say that because he repairs copy machines and has to use his own car for driving, so no car equals no work. It's worth the $60 every 5 years for the peace of mind even if in theory he could get a little longer out of it.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
Still on my original at 70K miles.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
I say run it until it quits, unless you might face unusual and/or severe consequences for a dead battery (frostbite, loss of job, etc).

My 2006 is still on the original battery, 87k miles.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I'd ditch it . It's about to go out and hopefully it's not a horrible time .
Old 04-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #9
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
Can you afford to be stranded???

See the map from study conducted by Interstate Batteries on the average life of a car battery at the beginning of Section 7 in the Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ on www.batteryfaq.org. Temperature matters!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #10
Murdog is on a distinguished road

Army: SFC Paratrooper/Radio Retired
Murdog's Tacoma Gallery
I'm at seven years and 130k still using original batt and never added water. Amazing. Army mentality-If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #11
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Rock it till it takes a dump, then mount it on your wall!

Brett
Old 04-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
On battery number 3 for my '08 (bought Oct 07). Both other batteries tested bad for cca's and was recommended they be changed - was getting ready for a trip both times and didn't want to be stranded again. First one lasted ~29 months and the other lasted about 2 years.

Camry battery lasted 5 years and replacement (not oem) just rolled over 9 years old (been recommended the last 2 years to replace - just haven't done it yet)
Old 04-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
Why i change mine before it craps out

I replace my battery every 4 years needed or not. Average battery life is 4 years. So you might be one of those people that wait till it craps out but not me because it will crap out at a bad time in the rain or snow maybe when you have a appointment. Hey might even crap just between payday when you spent all your money on beer.
Dont worry it will happen. Let me also say batterys go out with no warning.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetman1979 View Post
I replace my battery every 4 years needed or not. Average battery life is 4 years. So you might be one of those people that wait till it craps out but not me because it will crap out at a bad time in the rain or snow maybe when you have a appointment. Hey might even crap just between payday when you spent all your money on beer.
Yep and they're only $100 or so
Old 04-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Colder climate, batteries last longer. We're happy with 4 years, but 7 years is definitely on borrowed time in any part of the country.

Problem is, when they go, they go with no warning. You'll be out truckin' around, stopping and restarting all day, then you'll get in and suddenly it won't start.
Get a jump, it'll roll just fine, everything will seem okay. Shut down, and it'll be dead again.

Not a good thing to happen off road, in the boonies, or at 5am on the way to work.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Yep and they're only $100 or so
Even less...

http://www.midatlantictoyotaparts.co...0544-27f60-710
Old 04-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #17
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Let me also say batterys go out with no warning.
What he said.

Used to be they'd start slower when the were dying - the last two I had to replace we're fine in the morning and the wouldn't start the next try.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's just foolish? Every 4 years really? I understand what your talking about but your just throwing money away. Crap will happen either way ya figure it eventually .

I know it's no oem but I've had an interstate battery last 14 years in my old ford, the guys at interstate took a pic of me and my truck and put it on their wall at their shop.

For the op their are lots of variables as far as battery life is concerned , like weather , temperature, how many times the battery has been drained ( I mean listening to the radio with the vehicle off for extended periods of time, possible dead battery from a short etc) blah blah. There are lots of things that will premature a batteries life.
Thanks,

Brett
Old 04-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #19
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
My 07 factory battery gave up the ghost suddenly last month. Started fine in the morning, drove to work, went to leave and it wouldn't do anything. Had 12.5 volts but dropped to 0 the moment I turned the key and like 3 if I turned on the headlights (which wouldn't work). With that said, I'd run it personally.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #20
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
I voted to replace now, before failure. I've always been a preventative type maintainer on my vehicles. Fix it before it fails. Seven yrs. on a battery is good.