Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Mounting a shovel to the side of the bed?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
fallon is on a distinguished road
fallon's Tacoma Gallery
Mounting a shovel to the side of the bed?

Anybody have any good products or tricks for mounting a shovel to the side of the bed?

I was thinking about some beefy broom or lawn tool type brackets with a spring loaded clamp or something, but haven't been able to find any.

My current thought is to mount 2 hooks then screw 1 end of a bungee cord or strap above the hook & put a anchor or eye hook below & attach a hook on the end of the bungee/strap to keep it bouncing out. The front of the bed is looking the easiest as I can access the other side between the cab & bed to mess with bolts.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Mikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant futureMikehole has a brilliant future

Name: Mike
Mikehole's Tacoma Gallery
There's a product that is called "quick fists"
I think.
Everyone and their mother has some on TW. they use it to mount a maglight next to the drivers seat, mount shovels and axes...

Edit: (I think?) I've read that Lowe's carries them.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Here's what I recently did . It's a harbor freight full size painted black . I used 3 strong zip ties in two spots on the rail system then backed it up with these wire wraps from lowes @ $7.00 through the stock tied owns . It sits kind low . Feels pretty safe and doesn't rattle but I'll keep an eye on it .

Old 04-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
fallon's Tacoma Gallery
That's pretty much what I was thinking of, thanks for the name. Photo #3 on http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Fist-100...dp/B000CQPANY/ is exactly what I was planning on (doing already have that same sized shovel).

Good chance I'll go the kit though, those look handy http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Fist-900...dp/B006YU8IX6/
Old 04-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Wouldnt someone steal that in like a minute?
Or use it to break your window and take stuff?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
fallon's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a Harbor Freight bed bar in the back to keep stuff from sliding around for a couple of years now, no issues with it getting stolen, about the same value as a shovel.

It would be just as easy to use a rock to knock out a window as a shovel. If somebody is going to break in, they are going to break in, a shovel in the back isn't going to make any significant difference.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
anamorphic is on a distinguished road
anamorphic's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...l-axe-etc.html
Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
All you need is an E-Tool

Products Discussed in this Thread