1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aluminum frame for the bed platform

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by evilbit, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Apr 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM
    evilbit

evilbit [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Emir
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 6spd V6 Access
    Leer 122 shell (high top), 3" OME lift, diff drop kit, Total Chaos UCAs, DeMello hybrid bolt on rock sliders, Pelfreybilt rear bumper with swing-out gate, Pelfreybilt aluminum skid plates (IFS/mid), ARB front bumper w/ custom MLO light pods, Rigid 24" light bar, ARB Air Locker front/back, 4.56 gears, ARB high output compressor with pump-up kit, scuba mod, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with synthetic cable, 255/85/16 BFG MT T/A KM2 on ProComp Rock Crawler Series 87 steelies, Wet Okole seat covers, WeatherTech floor trays, Hypertech Inline Speedo Calibrator, JVC KD-X50BT mechless stereo, LED lights (interior/rear+brake/reverse/front marker)
    I'm planning my next project: a bed platform/storage drawers/pull-out table. I noticed that all the write-ups use wood, but I'm concerned with the weight as it takes away from useful payload (e.g. extra water, fuel). I wanna use an aluminum frame (1.5" sq tube) for weight savings but haven't worked with this material before.

My question is: Is it possible to do a neat but strong connections with limited tools/skills, or am I better off just outsourcing the fabrication to some local metal shop? DIY welding of aluminum is out of question. Are those plastic connectors (e.g. these) rated for this application? The frame needs to be able to hold a 100's of lbs and withstand the sometimes-violent trail ride movement.

I plan to put on a 3/4" plywood on top and upholster it with outdoor carpeting, couple hatches for quick storage access, and maybe a few tie down points. Also need to find some Rubbermaid-style boxes I could use to fill the space around wheel wells.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  2. May 18, 2014 at 9:01 PM
    gdawg

gdawg Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma Sport
    Did you end up building this?
    I am looking to do something similar - would love any beta you have... :)

3. Jun 15, 2014 at 9:34 PM
    skygear

skygear                    

Member:
    I nteresting

Products Discussed in

To Top