1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chirping Sound in my 2005 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by TacoGuy171, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    Russeleven

Russeleven New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RW
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 4WD SR5 6 Spd 4.0L
    I went to Toyota, they said it sounds like passing the buck, but they said customers normally have better luck calling the Toyota (could but probably won't) Care 1-800 number. I called them, described my situation of 4 repairs and other attempts to show up with the noise and sometimes the noise would be very quiet when I got there. The person from Toyota said, at some point you have to take responsibility for this. I said I'd have no problem taking responsibility if I had done nothing to try and get it fixed. Truth is, one mechanic could diagnose the TOB in 2 seconds while it took Toyota 5 YEARS to put out a bulletin. I said the TOB was defective, which is obvious since Toyota developed a sleeve and an oversized bearing to go over the sleeve. So, I got nowhere with that person, but I'm not done. Anyways, I asked for the parts and Toyota only installs them, so while they were in there I said you might as well continue to bend me over and out in a new clutch plate and everything if its going to go bad in a year or so, no sense in opening it up twice, lots of labor cost! $1274 later the truck sounds much better. Still think they gave me something defective and made me pay for fixing it, I find that ridiculous. I'm happy this is the only big thing I've had an issue with, the truck is awesome in every other way! I'm glad I bought a reliable truck, but they will get one more letter, maybe I should copy one of those lawyers where they take action against them? I could write consumers reports, maybe they'd say something.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. Apr 30, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    hladun

hladun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Russelevn, how many times do you think Toyota has to fix it wrong before it will work? There is a flaw in the TO design. There is too little pre-load force on the bearing so it vibrates which causes noise, wear of the bearing, output tube and clutch fingers and it just gets worse over time.

3. May 1, 2013 at 5:31 AM
    Russeleven

Russeleven New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RW
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 4WD SR5 6 Spd 4.0L
    Yes, I understand the problem and it is fixed correctly with a new TOB kit installed per the TSB plus the new clutch plates. The 4 repairs I spoke of were done before 60,000 miles and I gave up at that point (2009) until I recently discovered the TSB about the TOB. Toyota wouldn't sell me the TOB repair kit, they had to install it. I wanted to buy the parts and have someone else install everything instead of giving the dealership more money. But since Toyota was already in the tranny I had a new clutch plate installed since I have 120K miles so I didn't have to open it back up again in a relatively short period of time to do another labor intensive repair.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  4. May 1, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    hladun

hladun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Russelevn, with new parts you should be OK at least for a while. Just remember if the chirp comes back there is a simple fix.

5. May 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    TacoGuy171

TacoGuy171 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD
    So you can't buy that kit have to get toyota to get it and install it?

Products Discussed in

To Top