Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Castrol Hypoy C 80w-90?

Old 04-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Coast Guard: Prior service
Name: billy
Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Castrol Hypoy C 80w-90?

Anybody using it? I have a 97 sr5. Any opinions or suggestions of something better?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
Mechanic for Honda
Mossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to allMossy is a name known to all

Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
Mechanic for Honda

Mossy's Tacoma Gallery
Bump
Old 04-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
From what I have read on the web it sounds like an acceptable lube for differentials. The advertisements say it is intended for manual transmissions, also. However, it is a GL-5 lube. From previous research, I decided against using GL-5 gear oil in my manual transmissions. The sources I saw (sorry--no links. I did this research a year or so ago) said that the additives that make the GL-5 work well in differentials contain chemicals that are corrosive to copper and brass. The syncros in manual transmissions are brass.
YMMV. I have seen other brands of GL-5 gear lube with manual transmissions mentioned in the application notes, but I choose to not take any chances. I found a synthetic GL-4 lube that has worked well for me.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
FYI Toyota owner's manual specifies GL5 for manual transmissions for all years Tacos.

Can you even find GL4 easily in auto parts stores?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
The manual for mine recommends GL-4 or GL-5. For the reasons I mentioned above I will stick with the GL-4. I found Redline MT90 GL-4 on the web.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90
Old 04-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
castrol makes some good lubes. I have used there engine oil for years I say go for it.