Notices

Good battery but limited electric

Old 04-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
jmjones311 is on a distinguished road
Army: ABN
Name: Joseph
jmjones311's Tacoma Gallery
Good battery but limited electric

My dad called me this weekend to help him with his 2004 Tacoma 4X4. It is a four cylinder manual with a new battery and connectors. The engine will not crank but there is a click at the starter when the key is turned. The electric that does not work is the headlights, turn signals, cabin light, radio and gauge panel\lights. The electric that does work is the brake lights, high beams, horn and hazards. I checked the fuses and did not see anything the could cause all the issues. I initially thought one of the fuse boxes was not getting power, but the horn/hazards is controlled by the incabin box and the brake lights are controlled by the engine compartment box. Any ideas would be helpful.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
I am not sure exactly what is up with it. A fuse can be blown and not look like it sometimes. But it seems very odd that hazards would work and flashers wouldn't; low beams won't but high beams do.

If it was just the starter that was clicking, I'd tell you it was the solenoid. I hope you can get it fixed. I am just gonna say to pull the starter fuse and see if the other stuff works, just a thought.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
Check all of the wiring connections for corrosion if the battery is healthy and fully charged.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Do you hear the relay, when attempting to turn on the headlights?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Check your grounds. You should probably have the battery load tested as well, just to be sure. Or hook up a set of jumper cables.

Aside from that find what's common to the things that aren't working and trace it all back.

You'll need the wiring diagrams.

This may help as well... maybe

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/98-s...-how-test.html
Old 04-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
jmjones311 is on a distinguished road
Army: ABN
Name: Joseph
jmjones311's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help everyone, we checked all the connections and could not find any faults. My Dad gave in and had it towed to the mechanic to get fixed. We'll see what they find.