1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Danger in bypassing clutch start switch?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by KarnaughAtlas, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Apr 8, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    KarnaughAtlas

KarnaughAtlas [OP] Member

Member:
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab 4x4
    Hi everyone,

I want to do two things to my truck:

1) Remove the clutch start cancel switch to make room for my own switch (all the other blanks are taken).

2) Bypass the clutch start switch that requires the clutch pedal to be pressed down before the engine will start. From what I've read, this can be done with a simple piece of wire to short the harness that plugs into the clutch pedal.

I don't like 'idiot-proof' designs. If I want to be an idiot and break my truck I will damn well do it, so I want the freedom of being able to start my truck with the clutch engaged without the need to press an idiot-proof button. On the other hand, I've also read that starting your engine without the clutch pedal depressed can cause damage to your starter - something about there being resistance in the clutch even when the truck is not in gear. Is there any validity to this?

Thanks for the help!

2. Apr 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    I figure the clutch start switch is a PC safety thing. It prevents an idiot from starting the engine in the grocery store parking lot with the clutch engaged. Starting the engine with the clutch engaged is no problem if the transmission is in neutral. If done too long with the transmission in gear the starter will be overloaded and something will give. When I was a kid the clutch mechanism broke on my Dad's jeep when I started out from a stop sign. I panicked and stopped it with the brakes. My dad took over, started it in gear and drove it to get the mechanism welded.

3. Apr 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    It is a valid safety device. It prevents accidental starting if the clutch pedal is not pressed, unless you actively engage the cancel switch, which resets. While it is nice to want to make starting your truck a tiny bit faster, the time it takes to press the cancel switch, then crank the engine is not that much. It is much better than you (or possibly someone who may borrow your truck) from accidentally cranking the engine when in gear and potentially causing an accident.

4. Apr 13, 2013 at 6:40 PM
    tacoma4

tacoma4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The damage to the starter they told you about is probably due to the extra load induced on it from starting with the clutch engaged. Remember, your starter spins the flywheel attached to your engine, so when you have the clutch engaged (but transmission in neutral) the starter has to spin not just the flywheel, but the transmission gears as well. When you push the clutch in, it disconnects the transmission from the flywheel and the starter doesn't have to work as hard to start your truck. How much this damages the starter if any, I am not sure. Safest bet is to just push the clutch down when you start. I start mine occasionally without the clutch down, but don't do it all that often.

5. Apr 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I use the clutch cancel switch to start my truck all the time. The added load from spinning the input shaft is near zero.

6. Apr 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    EDJY

EDJY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR MT
    Eh its not a big deal not to have it. Driven alot of cars without one. I do however have a bad experience with a old toyota forklift. Accidentally started the stupid thing while trying to fix some wiring and the damn thing took off on me haha. Good thing forklifts are slow.

Products Discussed in

To Top