Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Danger in bypassing clutch start switch?

Old 04-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
KarnaughAtlas is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Firefighter/Engineer
KarnaughAtlas's Tacoma Gallery
Danger in bypassing clutch start switch?

Hi everyone,

I want to do two things to my truck:

1) Remove the clutch start cancel switch to make room for my own switch (all the other blanks are taken).

2) Bypass the clutch start switch that requires the clutch pedal to be pressed down before the engine will start. From what I've read, this can be done with a simple piece of wire to short the harness that plugs into the clutch pedal.

I don't like 'idiot-proof' designs. If I want to be an idiot and break my truck I will damn well do it, so I want the freedom of being able to start my truck with the clutch engaged without the need to press an idiot-proof button. On the other hand, I've also read that starting your engine without the clutch pedal depressed can cause damage to your starter - something about there being resistance in the clutch even when the truck is not in gear. Is there any validity to this?

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
I figure the clutch start switch is a PC safety thing. It prevents an idiot from starting the engine in the grocery store parking lot with the clutch engaged. Starting the engine with the clutch engaged is no problem if the transmission is in neutral. If done too long with the transmission in gear the starter will be overloaded and something will give. When I was a kid the clutch mechanism broke on my Dad's jeep when I started out from a stop sign. I panicked and stopped it with the brakes. My dad took over, started it in gear and drove it to get the mechanism welded.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
It is a valid safety device. It prevents accidental starting if the clutch pedal is not pressed, unless you actively engage the cancel switch, which resets. While it is nice to want to make starting your truck a tiny bit faster, the time it takes to press the cancel switch, then crank the engine is not that much. It is much better than you (or possibly someone who may borrow your truck) from accidentally cranking the engine when in gear and potentially causing an accident.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
tacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud oftacoma4 has much to be proud of
tacoma4's Tacoma Gallery
The damage to the starter they told you about is probably due to the extra load induced on it from starting with the clutch engaged. Remember, your starter spins the flywheel attached to your engine, so when you have the clutch engaged (but transmission in neutral) the starter has to spin not just the flywheel, but the transmission gears as well. When you push the clutch in, it disconnects the transmission from the flywheel and the starter doesn't have to work as hard to start your truck. How much this damages the starter if any, I am not sure. Safest bet is to just push the clutch down when you start. I start mine occasionally without the clutch down, but don't do it all that often.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I use the clutch cancel switch to start my truck all the time. The added load from spinning the input shaft is near zero.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
Eh its not a big deal not to have it. Driven alot of cars without one. I do however have a bad experience with a old toyota forklift. Accidentally started the stupid thing while trying to fix some wiring and the damn thing took off on me haha. Good thing forklifts are slow.